Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repository is > 2GB push problem

Brent Willman March 25, 2020

We have a repository that is over 2gb and I have been trying to clean the repository up.  I have tried to remove files and also to shrink the *.pack file and are not able to push the changes to the repository due to the repo being over the 2gb limit.

I have seen some other communications of where a member of the Atlassian Team has assisted in executing a git gc command on the repository that needs to be reduced in size.

Let me know if there is any more information needed.  The current size of the repository is 2.1 GB

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2020

Hello @Brent Willman,

Welcome to the Community.

I ran GC for three repositories with that size which were accessed recently, and their size reduced to 500-600 Mb each. There are way more large repositories owned by the account in question, so I hope I guessed which did you mean.

Btw, here's our guide on reducing repository size.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Daniil

Brent Willman March 25, 2020

Thanks Daniil,

Can you provide the other repositories that were cleaned up?

Along with any other large repositories that need to be cleaned up.

Also, you did get the one I was needing to be reduced in size. Thanks.

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2020

No worries, glad that it helped.

Unfortunately I can't list repository names here since Community questions are public, so links don't look human readable but they should work as long as you have access to those repositories.

<links were here>

Cheers,
Daniil

Brent Willman March 26, 2020

Hi Daniil,

I have captured the repositories you have mentioned if you can not sure if it is possible to remove them from your previous comment.

Couple more questions for this process.  

If the repository is over 2 gb and you don't want to revert back to a previous commit and a gc will reduce the size is there a way to do this without reaching out to an Atlassian team member?

Also if the repository is under 2gb is a bitbucket admin able to execute the GC without contacting an Atlassian team member?  If so what is the command you executed?  If you do run a gc on your local repository is there a way to push the change to the repository?

Thanks,

Brent

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
March 26, 2020

No, there's no way to force trigger GC from the client side or in the UI. GC kicks in automatically from time to time after you push to the repository, however this doesn't happen after every push since GC is a relatively expensive operation.

So, if a repository is under 2 Gb, and you've reduced repo size and pushed the result up, Bitbucket will catch up after some number of subsequent pushes — just keep working in that repository. If, however, the repository jumped beyond 2 Gb and hence was put into read-only mode, you'll only be able to push commit removals. If you believe aggressive GC would help, the only way to request it is via support ticket.

If you do run a gc on your local repository is there a way to push the change to the repository?

There's no such concept in Git. GC collects dead (as in, unreachable) objects from the local copy of the repository. Such objects nor their IDs are never pushed over the network, GC is a local operation.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Daniil

Brent Willman March 26, 2020

Thanks, Daniil.

Like Daniil Penkin likes this
0 votes
Deleted user June 5, 2020

Hi @Daniil Penkin , I am also facing one similar problem in my bitbucket cloud repositories. Its already cross 2 GB space but I already cleanup in local repo and also deleted branch that was having high data volume but still in remote repo size is not resolving.

Can you please help me on this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events