Repository Ownership

josetrein July 20, 2017

Hello all.

I'm new to this Bitbucket experience and maybe I'm doing something wrong. Lets see:

I have a "super account" where I'm creating my repositories, so far I have at this account 20 users, and some repositories. I'm creating all the repos under this account making it the owner of the repos.

However, when I try to make things a bit more structured by having:

Project -> Team -> Repository 

The repo changes the ownership to the Project, and now I cant have more than 5 users in the repo. I'm creating the Project with that "super account".

Am I doing something wrong or I would need a Bitbucket Plan for each Project with 5+ users?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2017

Hi Jose, what do you mean by a "Super account"? In Bitbucket Cloud we have 2 types of accounts: individuals and teams. A project is just a way to organize your repos within the account, you can have as many projects as you want for free, the only limitation resides in the number of users that you can grant access to your repositories in total (it doesn't matter if these repositories are part of a project or not).

Note that a project can not be the owner of a repo, the owner can only be an individual or a team account. For this reason, I believe that the structure you mentioned must be Team -> Project -> Repository and not Project -> Team -> Repository. The team would become the owner of the repo and you can have up 5 users for free, if you need more you'll need to upgrade your plan. 

Regarding the 2 types of accounts:

You can also have a look at our pricing at Plan details.

Does this answer your questions, Jose?

Best regards,

Ana

josetrein July 20, 2017

After reading you, I believe I'm in the Individual Account.

If I want to have the Team -> Project -> Repository structure, I'll need to have a Plan for each Team? That's definitely not what I want as I'll have more than 5 users in almost all of my Teams. 

I believe that if I have a Plan on an Individual Account and if I create a Team using that Account, I should be able to add more than 5 users to that Team.

Thanks again.

Like Marc-Antoine ADELISE likes this
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2017

If you want to have separate teams, then yes, you'll need a different account for each team, which means having a plan for each of them. 

An alternative for that would be to have just one account and creae groups within it. For more detals you can read Organize your team into user groups.

You might also be interested in this feature request https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/13202/customer-request-allow-user-to-manage

Cheers,

Ana

josetrein July 24, 2017

Hello Ana!

Your alternative solved my problem. I was already doing that, just got curious if I was doing something wrong.

It still kinda pass me a wrong felling about this, as I'll not end up with the hirarchy between Projetcs Team Repositires I would like to have, but I must get used to Bitbucket and not Bitbucket used to me.

Thanks again Ana!

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2017

You're welcome! Glad I could help :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events