Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a license from a Stash server.

Conner Bell June 1, 2015

Hi,

I am looking to remove a stash license but instead of backing up and migrating all the data as suggested here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Migrating+Stash+to+another+server

I would just like to free the license up for use on another machine without worrying about the existing data.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2015

According to this page, "A Stash commercial/academic/starter license entitles you to: Deploy a single instance of Stash in a production environment accessible by the number of users licensed[...]"

So you cannot split your licence between two servers. However, if your other server is a test server, you can use a free Developer licence on it.

Conner Bell June 1, 2015

So the only way to get a license off of a server once its been installed is to migrate the entire directory to a new server?

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2015

Since there is one licence string per server, the only way to move it is to migrate the whole server. BTW you actually need to migrate the server, because the licence key is tied to the server ID. (= It will not work on a freshly installed server with a different server ID.)

1 vote
LifeOfAFlippedTable
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2015

Hi Conner,

You can only deploy a Stash license onto one production server as mentioned by Balazs. If you are a commercial or an academic license holders, you can get a developer license as a separate license onto your test servers.

Does that answer your question?

Cheers,

Andrew Er

0 votes
Conner Bell June 1, 2015

Hi Andrew, I didn't realize it was user based. So will I be able to create a new instance of Stash on a different server using the same key as long as I have users left on the key?

0 votes
LifeOfAFlippedTable
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2015

Hi Conner, The use of the license is to keep track on how many users are able to use Stash based on your license key. So when you mentioned, "I would just like to free the license up for use on another machine", could you elaborate more of what are you trying to free up? Cheers, Andrew Er

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events