Pushing to a Bitbucket Smart Mirror

Marek Drogon August 9, 2017

I am working as a SoftwareEngineer/ScrumMaster in a consulting company that is developing software for different customers. One of our customers is hosting his own Bitbucket server and we are currently accessing it via VPN to do the pushes and fetches.

I am currently looking into mirroring solutions where my company is using a Git server and this server is a complete mirror of the bitbucket server of my customer. I've developed my own solution where I am using Git hooks to delegate requests, but by accident I found the Smart Mirroring Feature and now I am really interested if this product might be something for my company.

Here's the most important question: Is it possible to push to a mirror? In https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/smart-mirroring-776640046.html the diagram only shows "Clone & Fetch" but the pushing is done to the main repository, on the other side the text below states that pushing is possible to the mirror.

In my scenario the developers are in our company intranet and should only see the Mirror, all Git operations should be done via the Mirror. I do not want that the users are directly using the Main repository (since every user needs to pay some amount of remote-access-fee which I am trying to cut down)

I hope someone can help me with this question!

Best regards from Germany

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2017

Pushing to mirror is possible in the latest version of Bitbucket Datacenter. The diagram might be outdated.

Marek Drogon August 9, 2017

Thank you for your answer! I am wondering: 

When my company gets a datacenter license, does my customer also need a datacenter license?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2017

You mentioned that your companies Git server is a mirror of your customer's. In that case, only the customer needs a bitbucket data center license. You will only be installing the mirror on your end and that doesn't need a license. It is covered in the Datacenter master license.

Marek Drogon August 11, 2017

Thank you again for your helpful answer! For now my questions are answered :)

rmohan September 4, 2017

Hi Jobin, I had tried installing smart mirror last month and the push to the mirror was not allowed. Is the push supported from the latest version onwards and would that be a permanent feature? We are heavily relying on the mirror feature.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2017

It is available in the latest version. And yes, it should be a permenant feature, unless something goes horribly wrong or they come up with an alternative.

rmohan September 7, 2017

thanks a lot for the info!

0 votes
Kemal December 28, 2017

The mentioned article says:

Yes, you can push to the repository using the same URL, and Bitbucket relays the push to the upstream repository.

As far as I understood the mirror plays the role of a proxy and just delegates the push command to the primary bitbucket data center. 

Patrick Logan October 5, 2018

What happens if the primary is unreachable. Say a network outage for a few hours?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events