Push fails with error: pack-objects died of signal 13

tomisaacson January 13, 2015

I've setup a new repository and I'm trying to push my project to it, but it keeps failing:

git push -u origin --all --verbose
Pushing to git@bitbucket.org:name/example.git
Counting objects: 54942, done.
Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
Connection to bitbucket.org closed by remote host.
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
Compressing objects: 100% (39693/39693), done.
error: pack-objects died of signal 13
error: failed to push some refs to 'git@bitbucket.org:name/example.git'

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2015

Hi Tom!

This repo is well in excess of our size limits. We don't store repositories of this size. We do not offer that as an option to any of our commercial plans, either. 1GiB/2GiB is a firm and inflexible limit for everyone.

As much as we want to offer larger repos, the performance of repos over 750MiB or so is too bad to tolerate. We hope you understand this limitation.

tomisaacson January 22, 2015

To check this I was asked to run: git count-objects -Hv

0 votes
Paul Pasler
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 13, 2015

Hi @Tom Isaacson,

does this help: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18559015/cant-push-to-github-error-pack-objects-died-of-signal-13

It could be associated with a big file you are trying to push.

tomisaacson January 13, 2015

I saw that question but the answer refers to the "new GitHub limits on file sizes" so I didn't think it was directly relevant. Does Bitbucket have a limit on file size? If so, why doesn't it give a better error message (as that answer suggests Github is supposed to).

Paul Pasler
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 13, 2015

Too be sure that this causes the problem, you can try only pushing a little file. I agree that if this is the problem, the error message is not useful.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2015

Git may not provide a way for Bitbucket to send a better error message. That said, if there is a maximum file size, it ought to be publicly documented somewhere easy to find, like in a FAQ that mentions the error message you're getting.

tomisaacson January 14, 2015

@Seth Github says they provide a warning about filesize so this must be possible https://help.github.com/articles/working-with-large-files/ I can't find a file limit for Bitbucket but there is a repository size limit https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=273877699

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2015

If this is a persistent problem, you'll probably have to take it up with Bitbucket support. support@bitbucket.org

John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2015

Hey guys! This is always best worked out with support because we can get into private details like the repository name and such. For what it's worth, we really wish we had a file size limit or overall push limit, but things like that take time to implement and we'd rather refactor push requests or tackle repository organization. Tom has filed a support issue, and we'll let everyone know how it works out here so future people can understand how to resolve it. http://xkcd.com/979/

John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2015

s/push/pull

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events