Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pull-Request: Why does Bitbucket show updated code instead of code on comment time?

Ralph-RAFI August 15, 2017

When a reviewer comments a code line in a pull request and the author of the pull requests updates the same code line afterwards, in the pull request activity timeline it shows the updated code part instead of the code lines they were on time of the comment.

When using pull-requests as review feature this is very ugly because the comment does not match to the code.

Steps:

1. Developer A creates a pull-request
  2. Developer B (reviewer) opens the pull request and comments a line in the diff window.
  3. Developer B does NOT mark it as "Needs work" (because he is maybe not yet finished)
  4. Developer A commits and pushes a new commit which changes the commented line again.
  5. When Developer A or B looks at the activity tab in the pull request the commented code line is from step 4 instead of the code line from step 1

2 answers

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2017

Hi Ralph, are you using Bitbucket Cloud or Server? If you're using Bitbucket Cloud, then you might be interested to vote for this Feature request https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/10344/show-correct-context-for-pull-request

If you're using Server, which version? As of Bitbucket Server 4.8 you can use commit level review  as part of a pull request, which should alleviate th eissue you're experiencing. When new changes are pushed in a commit, you can then review just those changes.  

There's also a few feature requests that you might be interested in:

1. BSERV-7534
  2. BSERV-9863
  3. BSERV-9109

If you believe none of them really targets what you're looking for, you can add  comment or submit a new one with your suggestion :)

Hope this helps!

Ana

0 votes
Ralph-RAFI August 16, 2017

Hey Ana,

thank you for your response. I'm using  Bitbucket Server (10 user license) for evaluation purposes. 

I did not try whether the problem also occurs when using commit level review as described in your link but that solution does not work for us.
When a pull request consist of 10 or more commits it is very work-intensive, to have a look at each of the single commits and review them. Sometimes it is also not useful to have a look at each single commit because sometimes a newer commit contains fixes which where introduced in an older commit.

Sorry, none of the feature requests you mentioned target my problem. The only one I found was BSERV-7080 but it does not exactly address my problem.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2017

Hi Ralph, if none of them suits you're needs, you're welcome to sumit a new one by clicking the Create button on top :)

Cheers,

Ana

Ralph-RAFI August 16, 2017

Hey Ana,

I would like to but when I click Create Issue in the Bitbucket Server project the following error occurs:

User 'myUserName' doesn't have the 'Assign Issues' permission.

As I mentioned at the moment we only have a 10 user license for evaluation purposes and we are not allowed to use the support. We only want to upgrade to a larger user count when we are sure that Bitbucket satisfies our needs.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events