Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Upgrading from 4.3.2 to the latest - Problem with databases

Martyn Chandley February 25, 2020

Hi,

I have been having a problem upgrading Bitbucket and ran into a strange problem.   First let me describe the environment and setup

We have a current server which is out of support and end-of-life on 4.3.1 (Bitbucket version).   It's a VMware  VM machine with non-metadata on two mounted drives and metadata stored in a separate MS-SQL database on a database cluster.   

I cloned this machine and created two drives with copies of the data and copies of the databases (different database names to reflect the copy and to avoid data clashes).

The actual install of the new version over the old goes ok without any errors or problems, but we cannot connect to the databases even though the database passwords are correct, there is no firewall in between or on the Bitbucket server or the database cluster.   There are no routing issues either and the databases are clearly reachable but we get the databases rejecting the connection request.  We've also checked the ports and they are established.

I should also mention that the Bitbucket server is on dhcp (the live production machine is of course static address), and is also a Linux RH CentOS 7 vm.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so what was the solution.  I've not been able to find any information that matches my issue.

I'd be grateful for any help, suggestions or advice as this is now very urgent as we need to get on to the latest version as soon  as possible.

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2020

Sounds like you didn't grant the user that connects to the database access to connect from the new IP address.  Because this is how you grant access, using DHCP for your application server is a bad idea.  The only way I would even consider using DHCP is if you have a reservation for the servers. 

Martyn Chandley May 1, 2020

Hi Dave, 

Thank you for your response.   The DHCP is a temporary set up until I can switch off the current server which is live at present.   I'm just using cloned data which is not being updated so when I switch the servers around, I'll got to static and swap out the data drives.   The only reason I've set to DHCP for the time being is that when the old server is retired I want to use the IP address and change the hostname of my upgraded server so that there is no or little issue with using the new server.

As for your answer about the actual connectivity.   I had discussed passwords with the DBA, but I'll check again to see if the grants were made.   

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events