Personal bitbucket account joined to company's Atlassian account?

Mark Davoren June 14, 2016

So I received the email telling me that "Atlassian account is coming to Bitbucket next week!"

Already have an Atlassian account? No worries, we'll join your Bitbucket account to your Atlassian account.

I have a personal Bitbucket account in which I have various repos that I developed personally plus I am a member of my company's team and have access to my company's repos. I also have a JIRA account (cloud) for my company's projects. I am unclear if my JIRA account is already an Atlassian account or it will be converted/"joined" to one.

My question: Is this saying that my personal Bitbucket account and my corporate JIRA account need to be joined? What does that mean? If I leave my company could they block my account's access to my personal repos? I don't understand how using one account to access all the Atlassian services reconciles with personal and corporate accounts. Should I create a corporate Bitbucket account to access my company's repos and keep my personal account just for personal stuff (removed from the company's team)?

Thanks.

10 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2016

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your questions.

The Atlassian account upgrade only changes the way you log in to your existing Bitbucket account - it simply enables you to use one set of credentials to log in to multiple services.

Is this saying that my personal Bitbucket account and my corporate JIRA account need to be joined?

If you connect the same Atlassian account (and thus email address) to your Bitbucket and JIRA accounts, you'll be able to log in to both accounts using the same credentials. However, if you'd prefer to log into each account using different email addresses, you can have two Atlassian accounts. The upgrade process for each product allows you to choose an email address to associate with your existing account.

If I leave my company could they block my account's access to my personal repos?

Only the login process is changing; nothing is changing with regard to repository access.

Should I create a corporate Bitbucket account to access my company's repos and keep my personal account just for personal stuff (removed from the company's team)?

This is an option if you prefer. Check out the example under "What if we use different email addresses to log in to multiple Atlassian products?" on the Introducing Atlassian account page for more info.

Thanks. Do let me know if you have any more questions!

Alastair

2 votes
Nicholas Worth November 28, 2018

If you create two separate accounts to access two separate teams you then also have to generate separate SSH keys because Atlassian prevents two separate accounts from using the same SSH. I don't understand why Atlassian can't provide access to both teams with one login as seamless as possible. If I work for a enterprise team and I leave that team I should then only loose access to the repos tied to that team.

2 votes
davidjmcclelland June 25, 2016

I didn't ask this important question and paid the price - my personal account was effectively hijacked by my work account. All my personal projects are hostage to work now. My lack of permissions has ruined my personal account- I can't create projects anymore. I am glad I am not a freelancer anymore, this would have been a major setback. But I probably would have been more vigilant.

Atlassian really goofed up in my opinion.

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2016

Hi David,

I'm sorry that you've had a poor experience as a result of the upgrade.

The upgrade does not affect permissions - it only changes which email/password you log in with, which you can still change if you like.

I'd love to chat with you a bit more about how we can clarify and remedy your situation; if you'd like to do that, shoot us an email at support at bitbucket dot org and reference this comment.

Thanks,

Alastair

Like Adam Rocska likes this
1 vote
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
June 14, 2016

Hi Mark,

No, after the upgrade you will need to log in with your Atlassian account email address; you won't be able to log in with secondary email addresses.

In your case, I recommend either

1) Logging in to each product using separate email addresses, or

2) Creating a work Bitbucket account using your work email and then joining your work team using that account. That way you'll retain access to your personal repositories without having to worry about your work email address.

Thanks,

Alastair

EDIT: Include two options, clarity

0 votes
Senthilkumar September 4, 2019

Hi Team,

I need to create a common Bitbucket account for my Company, We have already using JIRA cloud. Can you let me know how should i create this account.

What email ID should i give for creating this account? 

What are the steps to create a common Bitbucket account.

Currently all team members have there own, Bitbucket account and will they be moved into this new account.?

IF some one can reply on this will be very useful.

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
September 4, 2019

Hi,

Thanks for your question! Bitbucket has user accounts and team accounts.

First, you should create a user account for yourself by signing up at bitbucket.org. I suggest creating this account using the same email address you use to log into Jira.

Once you're logged in to Bitbucket, you should create a team account for your company. You can do this by clicking on the + icon in the left navigation and then clicking Team.

Once you've created the team, you will be redirected to the team's profile page. You can invite your team members to join by clicking on Settings in the left navigation and then on User groups in the settings navigation.

Click on either the Administrators or Developers group (depending on who you want to invite) to navigate to the group settings screen. From there you can invite your team members by email address. They will receive emails to set up their own Bitbucket user accounts. Once they've done that, they will be added to your team.

If you have any further questions about this process, feel free to reach out to our support team at https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud.

Thanks!

Alastair

Shailendra Itnal June 8, 2020

Thanks, How do I create team? Every time I try to click the documentation, it takes me to workspace creation instead of creating team

0 votes
Zeeshan Jan July 6, 2018

I am facing a very critical issue today and have reported to support but there has been no response till now. I was using my bitbucket account with username zeeshanjan82 and email zeeshan@zeeshanjan.com, everything was working fine and I was working for multiple clients who had send me invites to git repos and I was working on those repos. Couple of days back I had a new client who send me an invite and once I accepted the invite on the same email id and now I can see the git repos from my new client but all my previous repos have gone, I had more than 15 git repos and they are all gone, when I login using the email id and password I can only see the new repos. I remember when I accepted the new invite on the same email id it asked me to select the user name which will appear, I entered zeeshanjan82 but it said it is already taken so I entered janzeeshan. Now I am not sure what is happening and why I am not able to access my previous repos.

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
August 17, 2018

I hope support was able to help you out! It sounds like you accepted the invite with a different email, which prompted you to create a new account.

0 votes

After I upgrade and join my Bitbucket and JIRA accounts using my corporate email address will I still be able to log in with my personal (non-primary) email address? If so then I think it is all OK - If I leave my company I will lose my corporate email address, my (corporate) JIRA account, membership of the corporate Bitbucket team and the Atlassian account I would use to log into both Bitbucket and Jira, but I would retain the ability to log in to my Bitbucket account and hence acces my personal repos using my personal email address. Yes?

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2018

Doesn't appear that it's possible to log in to BitBucket Cloud using a secondary email - hopefully I'm incorrect?

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
August 17, 2018

Once a user's account has been migrated to use Atlassian account for login, secondary emails can't be used to log in.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2020

Bummer, hopefully that changes one of these days?

I submitted a JAC suggestion for that awhile ago 😉 https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-240

0 votes
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
June 14, 2016

Hi Mark,

The upgrade process will key off your primary Bitbucket email address. Does that help?

Alastair

0 votes

I have both (personal and corporate) email addresses registered with my Bitbucket account and just my corporate email with my JIRA account

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2016

Do you use the same email address for both accounts?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events