Personal Auth Token are rejected when multiple failed password attempts, bug?

ykoehler_hpe May 28, 2020

I am using Personal Authentication Tokens for my Jenkins to access the BitBucket Server and scan the repos.  Now, I found a behavior which I believe is a bug, where if you do multiple failed attempt to login and get to the point where, for security reason, bitbucket server request you to do a captcha challenge, at that moment and until you succeed the captcha, the Personal Auth Tokens are no more accepted (HTTP Error 401).  I put the below output of Jenkins when such event occurs.

In my personal view, I think this is a major security DoS hole where one could do multiple failed login attempt on a given account where Personal Auth Token are used and disable them from being valid anymore until the user realize the issue and logout/login back in.  This is not obvious for the user since he may have set the "Remember me" feature at login time causing the user to be able to access the bitbucket server tools without knowing that any tools using the Personal Auth Token are no more able to access the same tools.

ERROR: [Thu May 28 06:12:00 PDT 2020] Could not update folder level actions from source 6ccfdc2b-157a-423b-8586-feb8bf0bac40
com.cloudbees.jenkins.plugins.bitbucket.api.BitbucketRequestException: HTTP request error. Status: 401: .
HttpResponseProxy{HTTP/1.1 401  [X-AREQUESTID: *101ZR7Cx372x1027160x5, X-ASEN: SEN-8215530, WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="Atlassian Bitbucket", vary: accept-encoding, Content-Type: application/json;charset=UTF-8, Transfer-Encoding: chunked, Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 13:12:00 GMT] org.apache.http.client.entity.DecompressingEntity@609ef33a}
	at com.cloudbees.jenkins.plugins.bitbucket.server.client.BitbucketServerAPIClient.getRequest(BitbucketServerAPIClient.java:839)
	at com.cloudbees.jenkins.plugins.bitbucket.server.client.BitbucketServerAPIClient.getRepository(BitbucketServerAPIClient.java:438)
	at com.cloudbees.jenkins.plugins.bitbucket.BitbucketSCMSource.retrieveActions(BitbucketSCMSource.java:1038)
	at jenkins.scm.api.SCMSource.fetchActions(SCMSource.java:848)
	at jenkins.branch.MultiBranchProject.computeChildren(MultiBranchProject.java:600)
	at com.cloudbees.hudson.plugins.folder.computed.ComputedFolder.updateChildren(ComputedFolder.java:277)
	at com.cloudbees.hudson.plugins.folder.computed.FolderComputation.run(FolderComputation.java:164)
	at jenkins.branch.MultiBranchProject$BranchIndexing.run(MultiBranchProject.java:1034)
	at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:97)
	at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:428)

Step to reproduce, set up a tool that communicates with bitbucket server using Personal Auth Tokens, then run that script in a loop.  Attempt multiple failed login with bitbucket server until the security measure kicks in for captcha requirement and then do not proceed with the login.  Until you do proceed with the log in the script will start failing to obtain access to the server with HTTP Error 401.

0 answers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events