Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanently losing authorization to a branch, but not the repo.

Michael.Rankin August 9, 2021

Hello everyone!  I think this is a weird one, and I'll try to be thorough.

I and some other developers on the team have this ongoing issue with our company Bitbucket accounts.  It's been an issue for over six months, and IT is stumped.

We have three repositories and six submodules, and at least two or three times a month, a developer will lose authorization on a branch they've already pushed a few commits to.   Once this authorization error happens:

• That developer can't commit to that branch any more, but other developers can.
  • Trying to push to that branch via Sourcetree (v3.3.9) just shows the progress bar until you quit, no progress actually happening.
  • Trying to push to that branch via bash, it will ask you to log in 2 or 3 times, then fail with "batch reponse: Authorization error" and "Check that you have proper access to the repository", and "error: failed to push some refs to [$repo]", which is odd since we can still access other branches just fine.
  • Windows pops up multiple OpenSSH "Authenticate" windows, and neither logging in or closing it gets rid of it... it just keeps popping back up.  (Virus check was clean.)
  • The developer still has normal access to other repos and branches on the same repo, so it's only that one branch that suddenly rejects access, even if it allowed several commits a few minutes earlier.

So far, the only solution has been to create a new branch and bring your local changes over, or to re-clone the project completely.  None of the developers have this issue with any other Bitbucket accounts or repositories - it's limited to just the ones run by our company.  We've re-installed everything multiple times, including LFS, and tried different devices as well, and we think the issue is tied to the account, not the device.

LFS is definitely related, but again, it's hard to figure out how since there will be several successful commits of LFS assets to a branch before this error appears.

If it matters:  Even when things aren't blocked like this, some developers still have to log in three or four times during one commit. 

Here's the bash when I try to push the latest changes:

bitbucket 4.png

Here's the OpenSSH window that it opens multiple copies of, even when you close it.  (In the Task Manager, we can see multiple instances of it running, as "Git for Windows (32 bit)")
bitbucket 2.png

Thanks for taking a look.  Sorry if I missed any details, it's been difficult to diagnose.

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events