Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Reset *Without* Email Address

Chris Jordan October 26, 2015

Back in April I started looking at Atlassian's Bitbucket Cloud solution for our source control. I didn't want our repositories to be tied to any specific person at the company (because people come and go), so I created an account with a generic user ID which would be the main administrator over the repositories. The idea being that anyone with access at our company could administrator our repos, or create new ones, etc.

I then also created an account tied specifically to me as a developer and gave that account administrative rights over the repositories created under the generic admin account.

Fast forward to last week, and I find that I cannot remember the password for the generic admin account! sad

The problem is that this account is not tied to an email address. I'm not sure how that happened, but the upshot is that I cannot figure out how to recover the password on that account.

I can't seem to find a way to contact Atlassian about this. There is a way to contact sales (of course), so I did contact them with a version of this same email, but I thought at the same time that I would ask the community to see if anyone here has any insight. 

Thanks.  

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2015

Presumably you converted the generic user ID account to a Bitbucket Cloud Team account at some point? If that's the case, there is no team password (anymore), see the Teams FAQ Can I use my team to log into Bitbucket?:

No, recently we initiated a change ( Important Changes Are Coming to Teams ) which will deactivate the ability to use a team as an account to log into Bitbucket. If you have logged in using the team account follow the onscreen instructions to add an administrator or log out and then log in using a personal account which is a member of the team. For more detailed instructions, see  Team Account Changes.

Accordingly, you can only administer a team via an associated individual user account with administrative rights for that team, which seemingly is the case for you already - Managing team user groups outlines the various aspects and settings.

I didn't even know that was an option, and it has been a while since I initially set this up (I'm only just now really getting to play with it)... I *think* that I set up two different accounts with the intended purpose of the one to be solely an administrator, and the other to be a developer. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'll check out the links you provided. Thanks!

I can see that there is a "Plan Owner" and that plan owner is not me. Presumably this plan owner has an account right?

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2015

@Chris Jordan - in our case the plan owner is named after the team. Being an administrator of the team, I can go to 'Plan details' via 'Manage team' and select 'Change plan' for example.

@Steffen Opel [Utoolity], you may be exactly right here. Looking around a bit more in the Team Management screens, I can see that what I was referring to as a user id (and what appears in the urls as ".../account/usr/<my id>/...") appears to be a "Team ID". If I click to change the Team ID, I can see what I thought was a username right there. I guess that's how there is no email address for this "user", since it's not really a user to begin with. I'm gonna mark this as the answer, but I'll be interested in hearing what Atlassian has to say about it when they respond to the ticket I opened earlier today. Thanks so much for your insight!! :)

0 votes
evzijst
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 24, 2015

There's another, lesser-known way to reset an account's password: SSH.

Any account that has an SSH key configured (which by definition is everyone who has 2-step-verification enabled, as we require SSH), can set a new password from the shell:

$ ssh git@bitbucket.org password
0 votes

Thanks Nic! I've posed this question to the Atlassian support folks. I can't believe I couldn't find that page in the first place. Still I'm getting some interesting feedback about teams on this thread, so that's a good thing. :)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2015

On the "getting support" side, it's really just a request at https://support.atlassian.com - pick the most appropriate type of request and feed them as much information as you can.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events