Our repo has gone up from 1.1gb to 2.3gb almost over night.

Jonathan Chisholm March 17, 2020

Hi,

Our repo has shot up in size almost over night. A few days ago the repo was at 1.1gb but now everyone is locked out as it has reached 2.3gb. We do not believe this is because anything being committed. We have gone through and removed old branches/tags. The next logical step for me seems to be to call 'git gc' but from what i understand this is not something i can trigger myself. Is there a way i can force this to be called and be sure it has?

Thanks

Jon

2 answers

0 votes
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2020

Hi @Jonathan Chisholm,

Repository can't grow by itself. Any file on any branch contributes to the overall size of the repository.

I just triggered aggressive garbage collection for your repository, and it reduced to 1.0Gb. I believe what happened is someone accidentally pushed a big file but realised that and pushed a revert, however GC didn't trigger after the second update (it is not triggered on every push because it's quite expensive operation).

Cheers,
Daniil

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2020

I would look at the commits that have been done recently. Bitbucket has its own gc that is more affective than git gc. Removing branches/tags have not affect on the size, since they are just pointers to specific commits. You need to clear out your history in order to reduce the size. Please see this guide on how to do that, Reduce repository size 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events