Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Our repo has gone up from 1.1gb to 2.3gb almost over night.

Hi,

Our repo has shot up in size almost over night. A few days ago the repo was at 1.1gb but now everyone is locked out as it has reached 2.3gb. We do not believe this is because anything being committed. We have gone through and removed old branches/tags. The next logical step for me seems to be to call 'git gc' but from what i understand this is not something i can trigger myself. Is there a way i can force this to be called and be sure it has?

Thanks

Jon

2 answers

0 votes

Hi @Jonathan Chisholm,

Repository can't grow by itself. Any file on any branch contributes to the overall size of the repository.

I just triggered aggressive garbage collection for your repository, and it reduced to 1.0Gb. I believe what happened is someone accidentally pushed a big file but realised that and pushed a revert, however GC didn't trigger after the second update (it is not triggered on every push because it's quite expensive operation).

Cheers,
Daniil

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Mar 17, 2020

I would look at the commits that have been done recently. Bitbucket has its own gc that is more affective than git gc. Removing branches/tags have not affect on the size, since they are just pointers to specific commits. You need to clear out your history in order to reduce the size. Please see this guide on how to do that, Reduce repository size 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

New improvements to user management in Bitbucket Cloud 👥

Hey Community! We’re willing to wager that quite a few of you not only use Bitbucket, but administer it too. Our team is excited to share that we’ll be releasing improvements throughout this month of...

3,757 views 10 16
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you