Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online edit in Bitbucket Server

Sergei Dorogin August 17, 2017

Bitbucket Cloud has nice online edit feature when a ro user can edit a file and BB creates a PR for the edit.

Doc - https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/edit-online-351764818.html

I can't see the similar feature in Bitbucket Server. A user with write permissions can edit file but a user with readonly access has no such an ability.

Why? Is it on purpose? Is it possible to have the same behavior in Bitbucket Server as in Cloud?

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2017

The latest version of Bitbucket Server has the ability to edit files directly on the server. I am running 5.3.0 in my test environment and it has an Edit button when you look at the source.

It has been available since 4.13, here is the blog post about it.

Sergei Dorogin August 17, 2017

Edit button is present only for users with write access as I mentined. For for all users. User how can only read access have to do a lot of work: fork repo, find the same file, edit, commit, create PR.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2017

Guess I need to read the question a bit better... Missed the part about giving read only users access to it. Unfortunaltely I don't have the answer, but you may want to see if you can find a request, or file one, to have that fuctionality added to Bitbucket Server. Usually Bitbucket Server will get most of the things that Bitbuket has, but not always.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events