Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Account Inaccessible

Christopher Batty August 19, 2021

I have lost the ability to log in to my old bitbucket account, "<username_removed>", I think because it was switched over to an academic email account that used an alias. When I try to log in now, it seems to basically create a new account using my university's single single on, but none of my old git repositories are there.

I know they were at:

git@bitbucket.org:<workspace-id-removed>/XXX

because I have some repos on my local drive that point to this remote. I would like to have these repos back somehow. Is there something I am likely doing wrong?

Trying the recover-password process doesn't seem to do any better - I end up with an account with no existing repos.

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2021

Hi Christopher,

Just a heads up, I removed the username from your post for privacy reasons.

Do you have more than one email from the university? I checked this account in our system, it seems to be associated with an email other than the one of your Atlassian community account (the one you used to create this question), but from the same domain.

Since the university has configured SSO in Atlassian Access, login to any Atlassian Cloud account with an email from the university's claimed domain can happen only through the university's identity provider. So, resetting the password via https://id.atlassian.com/login/resetpassword for such an account.

If you remember the email of your old account, my suggestion would be to reach out to the administrator who has set up SSO for the university, ask them if there is an account for that email in the university's identity provider or if they can set up one, so that you can access the Bitbucket account with this email.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Christopher Batty August 25, 2021

Hi,

Yes, I had originally set up my account with the more convenient alias, but I guess the SSO now uses only the corresponding "official" email address, hence my inability to recover access to the old account.

I have managed to migrate the main repo I was concerned with off of Bitbucket and to a new host. Hopefully, I still have local copies of the other repos.

Thanks.

Christopher Batty August 27, 2021

To be clear, my university's single sign-on views these two accounts AS THE SAME ACCOUNT, since one is just an alias. However, when the SSO contacts bitbucket it provides the non-alias version, which is different from the alias address I initially signed up for bitbucket with, before SSO was set up.

What I would ideally like is for the old aliased (full name) account to be simply merged into the "new"/official (abridged name) account on Bitbucket's end. But I guess I'll see if the university can help me resolve this unfortunate situation.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2021

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your reply and info.

We may be able to help you recover the account, but in order to do so, we would need permission from one of the people who are listed as organization admins for Atlassian Access for this domain. The reason is that managed accounts are owned by the organization that claimed the domain, so we cannot make any changes without approval from one of the admins.

If the university is not able to help you gain access to the account, I would suggest the following:

1. I can open a support ticket for you for this issue (the support ticket will not be publicly visible).
  2. In this support ticket, we can add one of the organization admins and request their permission to switch the email of your old account.
  3. If we get the admin's permission, and if you also agree, we can delete the empty Bitbucket account that was recently created and switch emails (from the alias to the main email) in the account you mentioned in your first post here.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions and if you'd like me to proceed with the above.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events