Newbie Sourcetree UI / git workflow questions

Maureen Dunlap September 1, 2015

I am new to Sourctree and have a question about working in branches. 

We have a new Stash repo with a master and develop branch, which currently are identical. If I want to work in the develop branch, do I just click on the name of the branch in the left column?

Also if a user creates a new branch locally and pushes out some files, do other users get notified when they fetch and pull? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2015

(1) You need to double-click the branch to check it out.  Just single-clicking it will highlight it but not check it out.  You can also use the "Checkout" button or the Repository->Checkout menu option or right click the top commit of the branch and select "Checkout" (there's lots of ways of doing everything in SourceTree) - but double-clicking the branch is the easiest.  The currently checked-out branch should be bold on the left under the "BRANCHES" header.

(2) Other users should see the new branch under "REMOTES" once it's been pushed to the server (assuming they are using the same remote) but they won't see any notifications about commits on it unless they pull the branch down to their local system (which they can do do by just double-clicking on it as if they were checking it out while it's remote).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events