Did you mean: 

New certificate works only on Jira

Christian S_ September 28, 2020

I am running these Atlassian products on a virtual machine:

• Bamboo version 7.0.4 build 70018
  • Bitbucket v7.3.1
  • Confluence 7.4.1
  • Jira v8.10.0#810001-sha1:2a9881c)

Today, my certificate expired. So, I replaced it with a new one. Unfortunately, I had also to replace the (self-created) CA.

Now for the strange thing: Only Jira accepts the new certificate. I can log-in on Jira without problems. (The only thing not working is including the other products' news feed in the dashboard - but that's explainable I guess.)

For Bamboo, Bitbucket, and Confluence I get upon login

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

All four products use in their server.xml the very same keystore file on that VM.

I have no idea why Jira is happy with the new certificate why the other products are not. I'd appreciate any hint.

Additional hint: Firefox is happy with the new certificate as well - after I have installed the new CA (which is not possible in Chrome anymore).

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2020

Hi Christian,

Putting the certificate into the keystore is not enough - the problem is that the other applications are trying to talk to Jira, but that presents an untrusted certificate. So you'll need to add the new certificate to the truststore (the cacerts file) as well.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Christian S_ October 2, 2020

Hi Christian,

thanks for that hint.

The challenge was: Finding out which cacerts file. The are so many and it was very unclear which Atlassian application uses which cacerts file. In the end, I just searched for all cacerts files on the file system and added the new CA to everyone.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events