Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to commit files

Patrick Ronan October 31, 2017

Recently I have had this issue when trying to commit files to Bitbucket from Sourcetree. I have been using this method without any issues for 4 months and last week after installing a Cadence package (may or may not be causing the issue) I get this error message and I cant commit any files. I am not very savvy when it comes to these things so any help would be appreciated.

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false commit -q -F C:\Users\pronan\AppData\Local\Temp\ifaneki0.dkl

*** Please tell me who you are.

Run

git config --global user.email "you@example.com"
git config --global user.name "Your Name"

to set your account's default identity.
Omit --global to set the identity only in this repository.

fatal: empty ident name (for <(null)>) not allowed

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2017

Hi Patrick, are you still experiencing this problem? You can try wiping Sourcetree preferences.

Have you tried to commit files directly from the terminal? This will help us diagnose where the problem is, if you're getting the same error message when using the terminal, then the problem is not related to Sourcetree.

Lastly, have you followed the steps provided to you with the error message? Have you noticed any difference?

Best regards,

Ana

Patrick Ronan November 20, 2017

Hi Ana,

Thanks for replying. i tried your fix and i still get the same errors when I try to commit. Unfortunately I have no idea how to go about setting the accounts default identity. Is there a step by step guide available for this??? If not I will just delete my accounts and start fresh as I am only wasting time now that I can't afford to waste.

Regards,

Paddy

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2017

Hi Paddy, yes, this is explained in our online documentation at Set your username for Bitbucket Cloud actions.

One you follow that, try again and see if you're not getting that error message any more. If you still are, you could use the terminal to determine whether the error is coming from git or from Sourcetree, or you could start your installation fresh following these tutorial.

Cheers,

Ana  

Patrick Ronan November 21, 2017

Thanks again Ana.

I will try these options today and let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Paddy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events