My cloned repository looks nothing like the repository on bitbucket

Ryan Wright January 1, 2022

Hi all,
I am new to git, i set up sourcetree with bitbucket to manage my unity project. I have been commiting changes frequently as a just incase. I started about 6 weeks ago.

Yesterday my dell laptop black screened for no reason (its 6 weeks old also).

Luckily I have been using bitbucket and sourcetree to save my details. The project looks like this in bitbucket with an assets folder etc etc.

Any idea why or how i can get the information that is on bitbucket onto my PC?? rather than this clone that looks nothing like the repository?

Thanks in advance. Sorry I am very new to all the GIT and just set it up as an emergency. I did not expect my brand new laptop to break.

2 answers

0 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2022

Hey @Ryan Wright 

Welcome to Atlassian Community !!

Looks like you have done bare clone hence local folder structure has git files. Can you mention which command did you use while cloning the repository ?

Usually I do it from git bash vis git commands, the command I use is would look like this

git clone https://username@bitbucket.org/teamsinspace/documentation-tests.git

PFA

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

And those pack files are like zip files of multiple objects, which git can extract when needed.

More about git object, packs in this article https://alblue.bandlem.com/2011/09/git-tip-of-week-objects-and-packfiles.html

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Vishwas

0 votes
Ryan Wright January 2, 2022

For anyone else that may look at this, all i had to do was "check out" the repository locally and it did the job.
This is probably a super basic thing but I am very new to GIT. At least the issue helped me to understand a bit more about it and I am super happy that I had made the bitbucket repository and commited often.

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2022

yes, git checkout would the would update the current working directory from the remote branch. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events