Move from Stash zip install to using installer?

John Reynolds July 8, 2014

Hello,

I've been installing upgrades of Stash using the provided .zip downloads for Windows. I was wondering what the process is for migrating from that [kind of] installation process to the installer provided? I searched docs without success.

I am running Stash as a service, and 64 bit, and Windows system environment variables are set.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Best,

John

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Reynolds July 14, 2014

FYI Here's what happened - I hope my experience helps others. I'm on Windows 2012R2 using MySQL.

I deleted the contents of the zip file Stash installation directory, uninstalled Java JDK and JRE and removed the Windows service using sc.

I ran the installer as administrator, chose my previous paths for installation dir and Stash Home (repo). It installed fine, said it was installing the service, but no service was created and there were no errors during the installation. I followed another help area in Stash and got a service set up. I also set the service to start as the new atlstash user, and for it to be a delayed start (I've found this gives mysql and other services time to start up properly).

I do not remember if I had to modify the executables to run the 64 bit versions like you do in the zip install, but the 64 bit versions are in place.

I set my system environment variables to the new JRE path (JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME). My previous system environment variables for STASH_HOME did not need modifications. I found in previous versions that if running as a service these environment variables make life a lot easier.

In the previous zip installation, I had created a different user for Stash to run as per its instructions. I now had to remove that user and apply permissions to the Stash installation and STASH_HOME directory for the atlstash user which the installer created.

After that, so far smooth sailing. I might add that this is all running in a VMware environment, so my backup and revert plan was a snapshot, making this a very low-risk process.

Thanks for your help in the transition.

Best,

John

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2014

Hi John, the process to move from zip to installer is the same as the upgrade proccess described here.

Cheers

John Reynolds July 9, 2014

Tiago,

Should I uninstall my existing instances of the JRE/JDK, or can I continue to manage that separately?

Also, do you know if the installer creates or modifies any existing system environment variables?

Thanks

Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2014

Hi John, the installer is shipped with a bundled JRE, there's no need to uninstall your existing JAVA instance, but Stash won't use it by default.

Also, the installer won't modify your system variables, but it will use the definitions in its setenv file.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events