Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from BitBucket on-prem to BitBucket Cloud

Robby Kilian March 6, 2019

Hi all, so first off I am completely new to BitBucket and have only first looked at it yesterday so bear with me here. :) I'm looking to migrate all projects and (private) repos from an existing on-prem server to a newly setup BitBucket Cloud account. I've been looking through some of the documentation with how to do this and see some people have referred to the REST APIs to script this. I see plenty of examples for importing just the repos from other public facing GIT repos but not much with the scenario I'm facing. Has anyone else successfully done what I'm trying to do here? Ideally I'm looking for a complete 'backup/restore' deal where I can get the users, projects, repos, etc all in one shot but it looks like this doesn't exist. Obviously getting the projects and repos moved over is the most crucial. Any feedback that could help get me going with this would be much appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2019

Hi Robby! You can import the source code and history from Bitbucket Server to Cloud as explained at Importing code. Note that you'll need to import the repositories individually, it's not possible to do it in bulk. Metadata such as permissions, comments, pull requests etc. will not be migrated.

As per the users, every user will have to create their own account (or someone needs to create the accounts for them) as user management in Bitbucket Cloud works differently, there's not a user base. Bitbucket Cloud works in separate accounts, there's not such thing as an "instance" like we do for Bitbucket Server or Jira, so users can not be managed in the same way. 

Regarding the REST API, you'd need to be dealing with the API for Bitbucket Server and the API for Bitbucket Cloud, which doesn't necessarily have to make it more complicated but is something to keep in mind. Unfortunately, we don't have any script for that, if you need more help creating those scripts you can also check the resouves in our Developer Community.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events