Migrating self hosted Atlassian stack to new ip addressing

Matt Wanless July 27, 2017

Hi.

I've got a selfhosted stack with JIRA, Bitbucket, Confluence, Hipchat and bamboo in it, and it needs to be migrated to different datacenter with different IP addressing.

It started out straightforward, move each server over, re-ip it, update the database config etc.

The fly in the ointment is that all the apps use the JIRA instance as a user directory, and I can't find out how to repoint them.

My next thought was to migrate them over to a crowd server instance for authentication, but that looks like I may be introducing another problem into the mix.

My final resort is to build new instances and migrate the data over, but there's a fair amount of customisation, and I'd prefer to only do that as a means of last resort.

Does anyone know if there's a way to to point the apps to the JIRA instance, or if the Crowd server solution would work?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

1 answer

1 vote
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2017

Hi Matt,

Did you configure your applications to refer to JIRA by hostname or by IP address? If you're using the hostname then everything should just continue to work.

If you used the IP address, for Bitbucket you'll need to log in using a local administrator account and update the user directory settings for JIRA to use the new IP address.

If you don't have credentials of a local administrative user you can use the Lockout recovery procedure to gain access.

As far as Crowd vs JIRA is concerned, that wouldn't make much of a difference - under the hood JIRA as a user server is still Crowd.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Matt Wanless July 28, 2017

Hi Christian.

Many thanks, that fixed it perfectly in Bitbicket. I did what you suggested, and then managed to edit the user directory settings to point to the already migrated jira instance (using a url now).

I've also got hipchat up and running perfectly, I'm currently stuck on Confluence.

It has the option to test and synchronise the users, but not to edit the user directory. Is there a way of editing this?

Thanks again.

Matt

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events