Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from Stash 3.6 to Bitbucket Cloud.

Paul Horton November 9, 2018

There are many articles around this, but I want to ensure I understand the terminology.  Does migrating describe moving data from one application installation to another and   upgrading relate to installing a more recent version of the application on top of the data?

I get the impression migrating can be difficult but upgrading should be straightforward?

If that is the case the best roadmap for an ongoing Stash 3.6 project would be an upgrade rather than a migration?

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Felipe Kraemer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2018

Hi @Paul Horton,

Does migratingdescribe moving data from one application installation to another and   upgrading relate to installing a more recent version of the application on top of the data?

Your understanding on the terminology is correct:

• Migrating relates to moving the instance and all data from one server to another.
  • Upgrading relates to installing a newer version of the product on the current server where data is located. After the installation of the newer version is complete, and the instance starts up, an upgrade is performed.

I get the impression migrating can be difficult but upgrading should be straightforward?

There is step-by-step guidance on performing each action:

If that is the case the best roadmap for an ongoing Stash 3.6 project would be an upgrade rather than a migration?

I am not quite sure I understood this question, and how does it relate to the question summary ("Migrating from Stash 3.6 to Bitbucket Cloud").

There are two different offerings of Bitbucket: Cloud and Server.

If your intention is to use a newer version of Stash, which is nowadays called Bitbucket, with your data hosted internally in your local server, you need to perform an upgrade to Bitbucket Server.

If your intention is to stop hosting Stash / Bitbucket in your own local server and start using our Cloud solution, you'll have to Import your local repositories hosted in Stash into Bitbucket Cloud.

You can read more about the differences between Bitbucket Server and Bitbucket Cloud here.

I hope this clarifies!

Felipe

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events