Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate from Stash 3.8.1 Server to Dockerized Bitbucket 5.5

adam_kosseck November 1, 2017

We have a Linux-based Stash 3.8.1 server, and we are looking to migrate all of the data from Stash to Bitbucket 5.5 on a new server using the official Atlassian Bitbucket Docker image.

I've done a lot of searching but I can't find reference to anyone else having done this using Docker.

I assume that by moving to a Docker image we're unable to run the Bitbucket installer and therefore unable to perform the upgrade procedure?

Is anybody able to assist with the best way to perform this migration?

1 answer

0 votes
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2017

Hi Adam,

Here's how I would approach this kind of task - I'd first upgrade from 3.8.1 to 5.5 on the existing machine, then I'd verify that upgrade actually worked fine and that everything is still as it should be.

Once confirmed, I'd stop Bitbucket Server on the existing machine, copy the entire Bitbucket home directory and take a backup of the database. 

Once that's done I'd copy the contents of the Bitbucket home directory to the corresponding location in the Docker image's directory structure, restore the database, and update the database properties in the bitbucket.properties file in the Docker image to point to the new database location.

Once finished I'd bring up the Docker image and see if I can access Bitbucket 5.5.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

adam_kosseck November 1, 2017

Hi Christian, thanks for the suggestion :)

There is a strong possibility that we won't be permitted to modify the existing Stash server.  How would you do the migration in this case?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events