It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Migrate SVN to GIT

Hi,

I have a project under SVN and now I want to migrate it to GIT. All tutoriais I've found didn't work, so now I want to try your application to see if it works.

Is there any tutorial that I can follow?

Thanks

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi David,

We've got a more general migration guide here: https://www.atlassian.com/git/migration

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Stefan

hello Stefan i am trying to do with the guide but i am getting error in command prompt.

what should i do.please suggest me.

error.PNG

See this article on BitBucket (alternative to GitHub by Atlassian, it offers free private repos):

https://go-dvcs.atlassian.com/display/aod/Migrating+from+Subversion+to+Git+on+Bitbucket

You have to adapt it, since it covers the migration from Atlassian OnDemand svn repo and BitBucket team account, and I never tried it.

Googling about SourceTree and SVN I found this: http://www.third-helix.com/2013/09/using-sourcetree-with-subversion-hint-dont/

It's dated Semptember 2013, and I suspect some or all the issues are still there in the latest version, but I don't know for sure.

In the past I migrated some old repos simply creating from scratch a new Git repo, and doing an initial commit of the current source tree, creating gitignore and gitattributes files, and so on. If I had several branches, I manually recreated the active branches in Git. Say goodbye to the history.

Pay attention to binary files: never store large binary files in git repos. If you have a big svn repo full of large binary files, don't migrate to git.

Good luck

Thanks. I will have a look at it and will report later.

So, I've followed the tutorial that Stefan Saasen posted and after some tweaking I was successfull.

The repository I was migrating didn't follow any specific standard with the "trunk", "branches" and "tags" directories. It had no branches history and consisted only in a root folder and subfolders along with hundreds of commits.

What I did was point the "trunk" to the root of the repository, to "fake" the master branch. This apparently worked pretty well. :)

Thanks both.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Atlassian supported Jenkins integration for Bitbucket Server

We’ve been building a plugin to integrate Bitbucket Server and Jenkins CI, and I’m excited to announce that our alpha is ready to download and install. It lets you seamlessly configure a Jenkins job ...

1,087 views 3 17
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you