Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging a PR causes source to be 1 behind

Ali_Beydoun February 21, 2019

Hi, 

We just started using Pull Requests in BitBucket Cloud. We have a dev branch and a master branch. As a test, I checked out dev and made a change. I then pushed it to remote dev. Now dev is one ahead of master, as expected. 

Next, I created a PR to merge dev into master, with Merge Commit as the strategy. After merging the PR, dev became one behind master (presumably because of the merge commit). The only way I am able to 'sync' the branches is by merging master back into dev (and only on my local machine, not thru BitBucket). The merge from master to dev did not change the branching graph, but now dev is in sync with master.

This is unexpected and very bothersome. Why does merging dev to master thru the PR make it 1 commit behind, and how can this be avoided?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
jredmond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2019

That's expected behavior - the "merge commit" strategy creates a new commit when you merge. If it's a problem, then one of the other strategies may be a better fit for you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events