Make READMEs of subfolders also render

Stephen Barr August 30, 2011

This is both a question and a suggestion. Is it possible to make marked up README files within subfolders also render, the way that they do at the root folder. This would be nice for larger products, where there are sub folders which necessitate their own README files.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2011

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question, could you explain further?

A page is a page, they don't "render" differently because of their position in the tree. If you're talking about rendering the content of attached files as though they are wiki pages, you can use macros to display part or all of them on a page, or simply import them as pages.

Stephen Barr August 30, 2011

On bitbucket, when looking at the source code of a project, if you have a README.rst file at the root of the project, then below the listing of files, the ReStructured Tex will render.

This is documented here: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Displaying+README+Text+on+your+Bitbucket+Source+Tab

My suggestion is to have this behaviour also apply to subdirectories of the tree. Therefore, if I am browsing myproject/tests and my tests folder has a README.rst file, it should render just the way myproject/README.rst does.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2011

My apologies, I thought you were talking about Confluence. Please ignore me!

John Martin March 8, 2018

I agree. Any README within a directory should be displayed by default the same way it does when you access the top level directory of the repository. Perhaps the configuration could be set at the repository level... on by default.

This could be especially useful for developing content for instructional purposes... each level in the hierarchy provides meta data in the README.md file that can be relevant for accessing child items within the current directory.

Like Josiah Eubank likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events