Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Login not possible due to "Create Username" Screen

Andreas Siegert September 27, 2020

Hello community,

I've been a bitbucket user with my username for 6 years now.

Just recently, I signed up for a Trello account.

Since then, when I try to login into my Bitbucket account, after inserting my Login credentials, there is this infamous "Create a username screen".

I can't use my current username, since it is - obviously for 6 years -  already taken!

I do not want to create a new one...

Since I can't get past this screen I'm locked out of my Bitbucket account.

I already asked Atlassian's twitter support, but didn't receive a reply yet.

Thanks for your apreciated hints!   

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2020

Hi Andreas,

Please allow me to give some context on this: we use Atlassian accounts (the ones for https://id.atlassian.com/) for single login to our Cloud products. This means that if you have a Bitbucket account with a certain email and a JIRA account with the same email, you'll be able to log in to both with the same Atlassian account.

Bitbucket Cloud used to support multiple emails for login. It was possible to associate multiple emails with a certain account and log in with any of them. Ever since we introduced Atlassian accounts, this feature has been removed. In Bitbucket Cloud, it is now possible to log in with the primary email address only (while any secondary email addresses are used for Git aliasing only).

From the description of your issue, it sounds that the email you used to create the Trello account might not be the primary email of your account in Bitbucket. This is most likely the reason you get the "Create username" page.

We may be able to help with switching the primary email of the Bitbucket account, but we'll need more info like the username of the Bitbucket account and the email you are trying to log in with now. I can check if and how this is possible if you want to share this info here.

If you don't feel comfortable sharing this info publicly, you can open a ticket with the support team via https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/. In the field "What can we help you with?" select "Technical issues and bugs" and then select Bitbucket Cloud as product. In the field "Give us more details" you can copy-paste your current question and also make sure to mention the Bitbucket username and email you are trying to log in with so the support team can best help you.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Andreas Siegert September 29, 2020

The problem was resolved via Twitter Support, I was using originally using another email adresses with my account logging in with another email address triggered the "Create Username...

Like Theodora Boudale likes this
Volker Heegemann November 9, 2020

Yesterday had a similar problem. When wanting to login to my Atlassian account, I was constantly asked to insert my full name and define a password  (and thus create a new account). In the end I did it, hoping that this might resolve the problems.

Unfortunately, I cannot exist our board any more, since I now have a different username.

That is most annoying as I am also the administrator of that board.

I can of course see the board when one of my collaborators inserts something and when I get the corresponding notification. If in those mails, I click on "modify e-mail preferences" I find myself in my Atlassian account.

I cannot change the (new) username as well.

What can I do to access our table again?

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2020

Hi @Volker Heegemann ,

I would like to ask the following for clarification, so I can better help you:

You mentioned

When wanting to login to my Atlassian account, I was constantly asked to insert my full name and define a password (and thus create a new account).

Did this happen while you were trying to access Bitbucket Cloud or Trello?

And did you end up creating a new account for Bitbucket Cloud, or for Trello?

Are you using both products, Bitbucket Cloud and Trello?

Kind regards,
Theodora

shix0770xx December 19, 2020

Hi,

I just created a new account for bitbucket, however I cannot login because it told me I need to create a user name first. However, the "CONTINUE" button you guys developed is disabled as many people checked the inspector. How can we get to next step if the button is disabled?

shix0770xx December 19, 2020

It keeps telling me "Almost done" and respond nothing after I click the button. I've already seen many people complain about it several days ago. Can you fix that please?

0 votes
rene rowell dela rama December 20, 2020

cant Create a username for Bitbucket Cloud!!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events