Login from SourceTree validates email/password but then says must use username

Kevin Marshbank July 25, 2016

When I use my email address (registered on bitbucket) to authenticate from SourcTree the Hosted Account List "Edit Hosting Account" screen shows my password as correct (Login status: Password OK), however, when I press OK a pop-up tells me I need to "enter my Bitbucket/GitHub username and not an email address."

If I use the username then authentication fails.  I see no place on bitbucket.org where I can specify a username.

Thanks!

Kevin

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
BChaney September 1, 2016

Same issue for me. Sourcetree's still not able to handle the change to email ID's used by Atlassian's SSO. The move to SSO is great but it'd be handy if Sourcetree was on board. I was able to get things done by using a non-Atlassian git client like GitKraken.

Gershon Chapman August 4, 2020

Is this still the case for ST? I just turned on SSO for my org and encounter an issue with 1 user where he was experiencing authentication issues and wasn't able to push and pull code. But when he reset his AD password, he was then able to.

2 votes
joemesot July 26, 2016

I just started getting this as well today. Now I cannot use SourceTree to connect to my Bitbucket repos.

The username field only lets me use my email address from my Atlassian account, but bitbucket/github are asking for a username and not an email address.

This is really bogus here, and needs to fixed asap.

0 votes
devzendo November 3, 2016

Ah! I think I have a fix ... in the repository browser, I selected the Remote tab. Sourcetree then prompted me for my username/password, with the username field disabled. I entered the password of my Atlassian account email address (which is of course, different to my username's password).

I was then able to successfully push/pull to a Bitbucket mercurial repository.

So it seems that my Atlassian account password now works with my Bitbucket user name. This wasn't what I was expecting... I thought that my username/username-password would be no more, and I'd have to use the Atlassian account email address and its password.

0 votes
devzendo November 3, 2016

I was just switched from my Bitbucket user name to my Atlassian account email address, and SourceTree 2.3.2 OSX (latest version) will now not allow me to pull into my cloned hg repos.

Finding how to change the username was not entirely obvious - the cog/settings... option in the repository browser. But it won't allow me to change from username to email address.

Please release a version of SourceTree that fixes this and allows SSO logins.

Thanks, Matt

0 votes
BChaney September 1, 2016

You're welcome, Kevin. I've logged an issue about this with Atlassian. we'll see.

0 votes
Kevin Marshbank September 1, 2016

Awesome, thanks Bryan!  I'm up and running using GitKraken now.  I like it better than SourceTree so far, well, the fact that it let's me log in is enough really :-\

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events