Less chatty emails from Bitbucket

KentGran December 1, 2017

Have recently set up a new server hosting Bitbucket and it works just fine. Have also configured an email server so that we can send emails for all the events triggered in Bitbucket. I did however not foresee the chattiness of Bitbucket since it includes a lot of sensitive information that we don't want to be part of the mail. 

Is there a way to determine what to include in mail sent from Bitbucket?

I have done this in JIRA by editing som of the files used as templates for events in JIRA. Do I have to do the same in Bitbucket or is there a smoother way?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Kent Granstrom

3 answers

0 votes
Ben Stuart
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 27, 2017

Hey Kent, 

You can also try a plugin like Notifyr - Notifications for Bitbucket which gives you an option to remove code I believe. 

Regards,
Ben

KentGran January 2, 2018

Thanks Ben!

Still think it is a bit over the top having to install a plugin to configure what comes in an email notification. 

0 votes
Felipe Kraemer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2017

Hello @KentGran

In the public facing issue BSERV-4747 our development team decided not to allow using email templates, so the email notifications sent by Bitbucket Server cannot be customized.

Your best option is to add the issue you've found, BSERV-9893, to your watch list and add your feedback there. This will make our development team prepare a solution that best matches your needs.

It might be possible to download Bitbucket Server source code if your license allows doing that, then and customize email notifications someway (maybe other people can help clarifying that in this thread, because I am not sure which source should be modified), but please bear in mind that customized instances (or built from source) are not supported.

Regards,

Felipe

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2017

Hi Kent! At the moment there's no easy way to customize these emails. You can customize the template itself, but keep in mind that this action involves accessing and modifying the code. 

We also have a feature request for that and you can vote for it and leave your comments at BSERV-9893.

Hope that helps!

Ana

KentGran December 5, 2017

Thanks for the reply. Have voted for the feature request. In the mean time. Would you be able to help me out in terms of what code file need changing in order to achieve my goal? I have done this with our JIRA instance and I know I have to redo it every time we upgrade but I have created a script that does most of the work so it's not to muck effort in redoing it. With bitbucket I need a hint on where to start and what to do. Could you help?

Regards

-- Kent

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events