LFS filesize triggers ? is it none, 1MB, 5MB, 50MB ? ..docs are full of banter and not answers.

Eric B. May 8, 2017

- Is LFS triggered by a file size that Atlassian/Bitbucket sets ?
- Or maybe Bitbucket uses LFS : as just there waiting for us to tell what files to handle no matter their size ?
....or maybe we're disallowed to know.. ??
-
I saw an "example" in the 19th doc I read, where 4MB was stated.. but never was there a doc found that stated a specific size for a trigger NOR stating we control the trigger size based on filetype without regards to size(which would be srsly lame). I've looked for 1+Hour..I have a headache to prove this.
-
Clearly I am frustrated..I don't think I have ever encountered anything like this in 20 years of working countless industry.  I feel like I'm sifting through hot spaghetti in the dark to find the colored noodle that isn't there.

1 answer

1 vote
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2017

I'm not an expert in this, but haven't seen file size trigger anywhere in the docs.

The roadmap for Git LFS has 'Support tracking files by size' (issue ref #282) in the 'Possible Features' section.

Would guess, since it is not (yet) supported in the extension itself, it's unlikely that Bitbucket does.

Atlassian tutorial covers how you tell Git LFS which files to track here: https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/git-lfs#tracking-files

For example, tell Git LFS to track all files matching the *.bin pattern:

git lfs track '*.bin' 

Git LFS Roadmap link: https://github.com/git-lfs/git-lfs/blob/master/ROADMAP.md

Eric B. May 8, 2017

Thanks Sam.
Your detailed post helped ease my mind of what I was unable to find. ..groovy brother.  Stay you. ;)

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2017

No worries. Keep sifting that spaghetti : )

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events