Jenkins poll scm with bitbucket builds everytime and not on changes

mnpiad April 6, 2017

Hello,

I have jenkins job setup for bitbucket and i have setup SCM poll option in jenkins

I excpected that jenkins will poll Bitbucket and if it detects any change than only it will build but seems like its building everytime it polls no matter change is there or not ?

Am i missing something ?

I see a webhook trigger for bitbucket which notifies jenkins when checkin happens but i dont have public IP for jenkins server as it is  on internal network

so would like jenkins to poll bitbucket and build only if there is a change

-Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2017

Hey Mehul,

Are you using Bitbucket Cloud or Bitbucket Server? 

You mentioned that you don't have a public IP for Jenkins. If you're using Bitbucket Cloud, then this means that your Jenkins server can't be reached over the internet and there's no way for an external service like Bitbucket to notify Jenkins of changes. In this scenario, you would either need to resort to polling, or make Jenkins publicly available. If necessary, you could limit the range of IP addresses able to connect to Jenkins, using the article What are the Bitbucket Cloud IP addresses I should use to configure my corporate firewall to know which IP addresses to allow.

If you're using Bitbucket Server, then presumably this should be on your local network so you can set up an add-on such as Jenkins for Bitbucket Server to handle triggering Jenkins.

One last thing, you mentioned that Jenkins seems to be building every time, regardless of whether new changes are detected. I've done a little research and according to JENKINS-20767, this can be an issue when using the bundled jgit executable rather than a native git binary. The above Jenkins JIRA issue also lists a few other possible causes around build configuration that could cause this to occur.

Cheers,

Dave

Sanjay P July 30, 2019

Hi Dave, 

I checked almost an exhaustive list of those IP addresses that are allowed but none of them seem to be working out for us.

Can you please check and let us know why is that the case and what we need to use a range of IP addresses we can check?

Thanks,

Sanjay

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events