Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA <> BitBucket integration

Dimitri February 8, 2016

I'm trying to integrate out Team's BitBucket repos with JIRA, following these instructions: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracloud/getting-started-with-bitbucket-and-jira-cloud-744720795.html

At the end of that document, a POST commit hook service is supposed to have been created automatically on each of the Team's repositories. Those should be visible in Bitbucket by choosing  Settings, then clicking Services under Integrations. In our case, nothing has been added there. Am I supposed to create those manually, and if so, how exactly? The instructions here are too generic, all I'm looking to accomplish is the advertised JIRA<>Bitbucket integration.

Then on top of Services and Webhooks, one can also configure Links. That's again in Bitbucket >  Settings >  Links under Integrations. Is that something that we have to do on top of all the above, instead, or is it obsolete? If not, what abilities does it add exactly on top of the main procedure above?

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
DrSnigglypoof
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2016

Hello Dimitri,

I've gone through the instructions and we will do some work on clarifying this process.

To answer your questions:

POST commit hook:

It's true that now you'll have to do the hook set up yourself. That's a definite update we will make to the documentation.

1. Log into Bitbucket.
2. Go to the specific repository you want to integrate with a JIRA project. You will need to repete this process for each repository.
3. Click the **Settings** cog.
4. Click **Webhooks**, then click **Add webhook**.
5. Give the webhook a clear name (I'd suggest using the JIRA project name)
6. Enter your JIRA URL. For JIAR Cloud this might be something like `myteamname.atlassian.net`.
7. Select **Choose from a full list of triggers**
8. Select the triggers you want JIRA to receive. At a minimum I'd suggest repository push, commit status, and Pull Request Created, Updated, Approved, Merged, and Declined.
9. Click **Save**.

This will allow JIRA to see your changes in Bitbucket.

## Links

If you want smart commits to work you'll have to add the JIRA link. It's pretty straight forward for JIRA:

1. Click **Links** in your Bitbucket repository settings page.
2. Click the **JIRA** button.
3. Enter your JIRA URL and project key.
4. Click **Save**.

That should link Bitbucket to JIRA and make smart commits available.

I hope this helps some. If this doesn't resolve your problem please let us know and we'll keep working through till we get it right.

I also appreciate your valuable time in opening this question.

Dan Stevens
Senior Information Experience Writer

sunisgcet October 15, 2019

I am having doubt on ..how to i create a branch on bitbucket server while creating issue on jira. i tried with jira workflow triggers but it couldn't work for me. can u please provide ideas . Thanks in advance.

Ted Henry December 9, 2019

@sunisgcet - You can't create a branch in Bitbucket and later connect it to an JIRA issue.  You must create the branch FROM Jira.  The link below explains the issue in detail.  It's a platform limitation right now.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-link-existing-JIRA-issue-to-a-existing-branch-in/qaq-p/701496

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events