Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this an integrated feature or add-on ?

Akul Bhatnagar May 9, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Bitbucket Server 4.6 release notes

Is the ability to search-code across repositories an integrated feature or add-on ?

1 answer

3 votes
Kristy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2016

Code search is an integrated feature with Bitbucket Server 4.6.0.

For a normal instance, Elasticsearch is automatically installed and runs alongside your Bitbucket server to index changes to your code. So it should just work out of the box. For Data Center we require you to set up your own ES instance and configure Bitbucket so that it knows where to send code changes.

For more information on how code search works in Bitbucket Server, see  https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BitbucketServer/Search+for+code+in+Bitbucket+Server

Akul Bhatnagar May 9, 2016

I am running on Bitbucket 4.3.2 server. If I upgrade version to 4.6.0, will it automatically setup elasticsearch OR do I need to consider it separately. 

steve
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2016

4.6.0 comes bundled with Elasticsearch. It will be included setup process.

Kristy
Atlassian Team
May 9, 2016

As Steve said, it will automatically setup elasticsearch when you run the upgrade installer.

Neil O_Neill May 16, 2016

I found that Bitbucket 4.6.0 expected elasticsearch to be on port 7992, but the bundled elasticsearch actually came up on port 9200.  Is this because I did the install via the Bitbucket 4.6.0 tar-ball and did not run the upgrade installer?

nomnomnom May 18, 2016

@Neil O'Neill The bundled Elasticsearch should come up on port 7992 regardless of installation method. Try the installer if you can, otherwise submit a support ticket at support.atlassian.com with the steps for how you attempted to set up the tarball, and we can look into it in more detail.

Akul Bhatnagar June 27, 2016

@Kristy Hughes   -  I am running Bitbucket on a linux server and before I proceed with upgrade from 4.3.2 to 4.6.0, would like to know what does below NOTE means. I read this at  https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/bitbucket-server-4-6-release-notes-827109988.html

Important note for Data Center users

Bitbucket Data Center 4.6+ does not use the bundled Elasticsearch instance. Instead, you must provision an Elasticsearch instance separately when installing Bitbucket Data Center 4.6+.

Kristy
Atlassian Team
June 29, 2016

Hi @Akul Bhatnagar,

For non Data Center users, we provision and start an Elasticsearch instance with the installer. Bitbucket needs a single URL for Elasticsearch - and for the case of non Data Center users the obvious choice is to install Elasticsearch alongside Bitbucket Server and point the url to localhost. 

For Data Center customers, Bitbucket Server is installed on two nodes, and lies behind a load balancer so that it can be accessed from a single url. If we installed Elasticsearch with the installer for Data Center customers, they would end with two Elasticsearch instances on the same instance that their Bitbucket is installed. Since Bitbucket requires a single URL to access Elasticsearch, this wouldn't work. Since Datacenter customers' instances vary widely, we decided that it was best for them to provision their own Elasticsearch instance, instead of using the one that comes with the installer. When you run the installer, if you select that you are installing or upgrading a Datacenter instance, we do not install Elasticsearch but instead assume that you have already set up an Elasticsearch instance.

For more information on how to set up Elasticsearch for Datacenter, see https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/install-and-configure-a-remote-elasticsearch-instance-815577748.html

Abhilash Malyala Naga August 17, 2016

Hi Bitbucket users,

We are running our Stash DC instance on 3.11.2 and planning to upgrade to Bitbucket 4.7.1 which has inbuilt elastic search functionality. 

Do we need to elastic search on same nodes of Bitbucket DC have or it should be on remote instance other than Bitbucket DC

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events