Is there a way I can fetch branches from the fork of a team member ?

anoopsps July 6, 2017

I am not able to access my colleague's  fork branches. We need this because we use to work on big requirements, and we want to be able to collaborate without merging unstable code to the main repository.

When I try to browse my colleague's fork on the browser, it says "permission denied". 

Thanks in advance,

Anoop.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2017

Hi Anoop! If your colleague has forked the repository and didn't make it public or didn't give you permission to access it, you won't be able to see it or fetch its branches. 

A fork is just a copy of a repository, and it will not inherit the permissions of the repo it was forked from. For more information you can read Repository privacy permissions.

Cheers :) 

Ana

anoopsps July 7, 2017

Hi Ana,

Thanks a lot for your help. 

My colleague added me with appropriate access permission for his fork and now I have acces to a particular fork.

But just wandering if there is a way to further simplify this. 

So we are basically team of around 50 contributers. And most of us work on multiple repos(eg: I have forked 5 repos). To provide whole team at least read access to my forks, do I need to add all members to all my forks manually? 

Thanks,

Anoop.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2017

Hi Anoop, when forking a repository there's an option to inherit the same permissions as the parent repo, but it has to be specifically checked by the person that is forking it. You can find it under Advanced options as shown in this screenshot:

fork-repos.png

Hope it helps!

Ana

anoopsps July 7, 2017

Hi Ana,

I am unable to see Advance setting options while forking :(

The options visible to me are as in attached image. We are new to bibucket, and our admin too is not quite familier with many options. 

forking_options.png

Thanks for all your help,

Anoop.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
July 10, 2017

Hi Anoop, in your screenshot I can see you're using Bitbucket Server, but the functionality I was talking about it's only available for Bitbucket Cloud. 

There's a Feature Request for Server, however, and you can find it at BSERV-4037. You can vote for it to increase it's popularity, write a comment or add yourself as a watcher to be updated of further notifications.

Let us know if there's something else we can help you with :)

Cheers,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events