Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it viable to use bitbucket for storing projects with large files?

david narciso November 7, 2016

I have a project in Bitbucket that allows for undetermined repositories to be created, the problem is that each repository can only store up to 2GB, and even if I use Git LFS I'm reduced to 5GB per project.

I have several projects that I want to upload to Bitbucket the problem is their size. Projects with 10GB are common because of several binary files such as .FBX animations which I really need to upload if I want the project to continue to work on another computer..

Is there some viable way to upload my projects to Bitbucket? Because I think splitting each project into folders of 2GB it's just not pratical, even worse if you have files over 2GB (e.g. A 100GB file with HD Video), then you would need to split that file and create 50 repositories and it would take a lot of time just to set it up on other computer, downloading 50 repositories and then assemble everything together for just 1 file (in this example..)

Cheers,

David.

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2016

The 2Gb limit only applies to Bitbucket, not Bitbucket Server. I have repositories that are 3 - 8 Gb that are using Git LFS without any issues.

david narciso November 8, 2016

Thank you for answering @Mikael Sandberg,

you're saying that in my case I need a dedicated Bitbucket server? My problem with Git LFS is that I can only use 5GB throughout the entire project (see Image 1).. this means all my large files from all repositores together can't have more than 5GB and it's just not enough, having a Bitbucket server removes this restriction?

Cheers,

David.

Image 1: Space available for Git LFS.

Capture.PNG

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2016

Correct, the limitation does not apply if you are running a dedicated Bitbucket Server.

david narciso November 9, 2016

Anyway for me it is not viable to buy a Bitbucket server or create one, I guess I'll just have to split larger files and upload them in some kind of structured way however inconvenient that may be..

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2016

@david narciso you may want to have a look at this, Upcoming Bitbucket Pricing. Bitbucket is adding file storage as a feature next year for Git LFS. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events