Is it possible to default seed the commit comment (but not for merges) with the branch name?

Hi, we are finding that developers are often incorrectly typing in the JIRA ticket number in the commit comment. We do all our work on JIRA branches and so if we could get Sourcetree to seed the commit comment with the branch name this would remove this issue.
The result of the current situation is that quite a number of JIRA issues show no commits, builds, deploys, etc. And reports produced deom Bamboo, Stash and JIRA are missing these tickets.

2 answers

One solution is to add the file commit-msg to every clone's .git/hooks folder with contents similar to: {quote} #!/bin/sh # # An example hook script to check the commit log message. # Called by "git commit" with one argument, the name of the file # that has the commit message. The hook should exit with non-zero # status after issuing an appropriate message if it wants to stop the # commit. The hook is allowed to edit the commit message file. # # To enable this hook, rename this file to "commit-msg". BRANCH_NAME=$(git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD) echo "Committing to branch: $BRANCH_NAME" > $1.new echo "User commit comments:" >> $1.new cat $1 >> $1.new mv $1.new $1 {quote}

But this is a pain as you need to remember to add each and every time you create a clone.

We found, installed, configured and use the "Yet Another Commit Checker" add-on which works well for this issue.

We ensure that:

• the committer matches
  • The JIRA Ticket is valid
  • That the assignee is the user and that the status is "in progress"

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

705 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot