Is it guaranteed that UUIDs assigned to bitbucket resources are not reused even after the resources are removed?

skawaguchi October 21, 2015

As mentioned in the documentation below, UUIDs are assigned to some kinds of Bitbucket resources, such as users, teams, and repositories.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/use-the-bitbucket-cloud-rest-apis-222724129.html#UsetheBitbucketCloudRESTAPIs-uuid-mainUniversallyUniqueIdentifier%28UUID%29

I'd like to know if UUIDs assigned to resources are not reused even after the resources are removed just in case.

FYI, in the case of GitHub, each resource has a numeric ID and it is never reused after the resource is removed.
So I am expecting Bitbucket to do the same.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
abhin-atl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2015

Hi @Shinya Kawaguchi,

Yes, Bitbucket Cloud's UUIDs are unique and will not be recycled. You can safely assume that a UUID for a repo is unique to it even though repos get deleted.

P.S. Technically, there is a exceedingly small possibility of a UUID showing up again, but the odds are so minuscule that you can safely ignore that possibility. Bitbucket Cloud uses Version 4 UUIDs, which according to this wikipedia calculation is many order of magnitudes less likely to collide than the chances of a person getting hit by a meteorite in a given year. To quote from that section "...only after generating 1 billion UUIDs every second for the next 100 years, the probability of creating just one duplicate would be about 50%."

skawaguchi October 21, 2015

Thanks a lot @Abhin Chhabra for your prompt response. I was able to have much confidence in my implementation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events