Is it good practice to create branches per task? Edited

We're working in team with 5 to 6 people. All we are doing is creating a new branch on every new task and later merge it with development branch. Sometimes it's hard to mange locally even! I would like to know are we following best practices? or creating a branch per user is a good approach?

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Your current workflow sounds good. A branch per user might not be the best approach given you may collaborate with other team members on a feature; that could get complicated using a branch-per-user workflow.

You may find that this article about Feature Branch Workflow validates your current practices.

https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows/feature-branch-workflow

I would vow for the feature branch workflow. Has worked pretty well for us

HI @Divyang

I would say..branching mechanism is one of the best ways to use GIT.

Using branching the developers can work independently on their local branch, once done they can push the code to the remote repo so there is no dependency and while merging also you can merge a single branch to master/dev branch.

Multiple teams can work on a single repository at a same time.

Hi @Yogesh Mude, thanks for prompt reply! Yes agree with you, but what if we create branches per user? for instance, we have 5 team members in a team, I would create 5 branches and commit their code into it, once they done with one task, they would create a pull request to the development branch. Is there bad in this approach? 

Michael I'm New Here Saturday

Per-task is generally a good idea along the same lines as a feature branch workflow.

If it’s too cumbersome, maybe do branches by story?

What about your current process seems troublesome?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Bitbucket

Branch Management with Bitbucket

As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...

1,268 views 8 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you