Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anonymous push to Bitbucket Server possible?

menhirent January 1, 2019

I'm running Bitbucket Server in a home network, and I really don't need authentication. In fact, I'm looking if there's a way to turn it off.

I've seen the setting to allow cloning without authentication, but a git push then requires it.

I assume that my use case is somewhat niche, since I don't have to worry about malicious actors and the server isn't exposed to the internet either, so no concern there.

1 answer

1 vote
CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2019

Nothing will really ever be completely anonymous as there is metadata tied to you in various phases of authentication. While you might not have a traditional username so to speak, there will still be various pieces of metadata I believe unless you believe in in being invisible?

menhirent January 2, 2019

True, I think I misspoke. I don't mean anonymous as "No one knows who you are" but rather "I want anyone to be able to push to the remote without authentication". Which as said seems like a very niche use case.

CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2019

I suppose a third party masked ID proxy could do the trick, but still someone would see the ghost in the night deliver the package at some point during the delivery.

And I suppose we could be open to a transfer of goods with no locks, keys, or vaults during the process.

The issue is that you never know what pieces of metadata are being picked up during authentication. And why would you need to be super secret? Relevance?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events