Increment a number in Bitbucket pipelines

Marcus Nordqvist November 7, 2016

I have a netcoreapp1.0 that I build using Bitbucket pipelines and pack with dotnet pack, and push to Octopus deploy as a package MyAssembly.Api.1.0.0-beta-*.nupkg where * is supposed to be a commit number/build number (or any other stable incremented number).

Since the commit identifiers in GIT are UUIDs, I have tried the following commands (see below) to get the commit count, but the resulting commit count is very unreliable and does not work as expected. Locally I get it working just fine and the commit count is incremented for every commit I make to my local repo. Unfortunately, none of the commands work in the pipeline (running in a Docker container). For some reason the commit count stays the same or even decreases sometimes.

I read somewhere that it has to do with "shallow/unshallow" git repo blabla..., and that it might be solved by logging in (to GIT) every time. I do not wish to do this if I can avoid it, and I find it kinda ironic that I would need to login to GIT within Bitbucket itself.

git shortlog | grep -cE '^[ ]+\w+'
git rev-list HEAD --count
git rev-list --all --count
git rev-list --no-merges --count HEAD
git log --pretty=format:'' | wc -l
git log master --pretty=oneline | wc -l

Q: Is there any other way to increment a value and access it as a variable in a pipeline?

5 answers

1 vote
Matt Ho April 26, 2017

Our solution to that is a small tool that uses dynamodb to store the build number.  Fits within the dyanmodb free tier (yay!) and is a small binary.

curl -L -o /bin/bitbauble https://bitbucket.org/savaki/bitbauble/downloads/bitbauble0.1.0.linux-amd64
chmod +x /bin/bitbauble

BUILD_NUMBER=$(/bin/bitbauble generate --key my-project-key)

https://bitbucket.org/savaki/bitbauble

jbarrett May 10, 2017

Thanks Matt!

We've tried all the git options and adding hashes and timestamps etc. without luck. Eventually, those methods don't scale. We require a sequential number to append to our version number to keep things in order - TeamCity does this by default. This looks like a great solution and we will give it a try.

Thanks for sharing. 

You're friends at DealerSocket.

0 votes
Stefan Peter July 24, 2018

Sadly I run into the same issue. So currently the only solution seems to be not to use pipelines in bitbucket. :(

0 votes
Richard J Armstrong May 15, 2017

It might work to use the unix time

date +%s

Not perfect but at least should be consecutive.

0 votes
Stefan Böther November 7, 2016
I use something like this in my pipeline to get a BUILD_NUMBER , the BUILD_LABEL I set in the bitbucket-pipeline settings.

script: # Modify the commands below to build your repository.
# Build Number ermitteln 
          - BUILD_NUMBER=`git log --oneline | wc -l`
          - echo "${BUILD_LABEL}.${BUILD_NUMBER}"
# Restore, Build and Test
          - dotnet restore
          - dotnet build ./src/ApiGateway/project.json
          - dotnet test ./test/ApiGatewayTest/project.json -c Debug
# Package produzieren und publizieren 
          - dotnet restore
          - dotnet publish ./src/ApiGateway/project.json -c Release -o ./app --version-suffix=$BUILD_LABEL.$BUILD_NUMBER
          - dotnet pack ./src/ApiGateway/project.json -c Release -o ./artifacts --version-suffix=$BUILD_LABEL.$BUILD_NUMBER 
Marcus Nordqvist November 7, 2016

But my problem remains, I need a unique BUILD_NUMBER, which is incremented every build or commit. 

Unfortunately, 

BUILD_NUMBER=`git log --oneline | wc -l`

will not work, because the count of the log may remain the same or even decrease in some cases.

Artem Leonov November 11, 2016

+1, same issue

arthurtagirov November 23, 2016

Somebody trying using Bitbucket api of pipelines for this?

For example, you can query:

https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/{owner}/{repo_slug}/pipelines/ 

and use size field from response as build number. But it was broken when you make more than one pipeline at one moment...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events