Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help understanding drive partitions needed for Stash and GIt

Chad DeShaw November 14, 2014

Hi,

I am not quit sure how stash and git work together, I have installed GIT on the server and postgres and located the data folder for postgres on a separate partition. It is my understanding that the Stash home directory will need a separate partition as well, so here is where I am confused I was thinking I would still need another partition to create my GIT repos on. Is that correct? So if you are following me C:\ partition  is installation,   D: partition is data for Postgres, E: partition is for Stash Home directory and F: partition is for Repos?

Regards,

Chad

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2014

Hi Chad,

I don't believe you need to create a separate partition for your Stash home directory. It can sit anywhere on your disk provided it is accessible to the Stash application. Your repositories will be created and managed by Stash in a subdirectory of your Stash home directory (under STASH_HOME/shared/data/repositories to be precise).

Can I ask where you saw a reference asking to create separate partitions?

cheers,

Tim

I am confused, do the git repos have to sit under the Stash Home dir? Am I never using git-bash to create and clone repos or am I just going thru stash to do that? Sorry I am having a hard time understanding how stash works with GIT as I am use to using git directly, although by no means am I an expert. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Stash+home+directory

TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2014

Hi again Chad, Stash is a git server, and hosts your git repositories for you. It manages them on disk so you should never have to create them yourself or interact with them directly on disk. Instead you create repositories via the Stash web UI, and then push, pull and clone those repositories via Stash's HTTP or SSH front-ends. Cloning the repository from Stash creates your own local copy of the repository that you can interact with using git-bash or a tool like SourceTree (http://sourcetreeapp.com/). You can then modify this repository and push it back to Stash. If you're reasonably new to git, it might be worth reading through our workflow documentation (https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows/centralized-workflow) to get your head around how developers typically interact with git repositories. Hope this helps! cheers, Tim

Thank You for the explanation of how stash works with GIT, it helped and much appreciated.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events