Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't understand steps 1 and 6?

Jason Hihn January 16, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Resolve merge conflicts

Step 1: cd ~/repo-directory

The result might look something like this:

computer:~ dstevens$ cd ~/space-repository

computer:space-repository dstevens$

Why can't you just start with cd ~/space-repository ? Also this assumes a particular prompt format (macOS?) my prompt is \[server dir\] It would be helpful if you used a simpler prompt format that only shows relevant information, like the classic \[/usr/local]\$  Your choice of "computer:space-repository dstevens$" Shows info that I don't need to see that is not relevant to the lesson at hand. dstevens? computer?

Then for 6: "Remove the change designations added by Git (12, and 3)."

What is a "change designation"? What are 1,2, and 3?  Where are change designations 1,2 and 3 identified?

2 answers

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2017

Hi Jason,

I can't comment on the command line format and general writing style. Hopefully someone from Atlassian will see your question/comment and take it onboard.

I think "change designations" 1, 2 and 3 refers to the annotations shown in the screen shot included in step 5. Here's a screenshot with the numbers added:

change-des.jpg

So, in the example given, they mean remove the lines that say:

<<<<<<< HEAD
======

and

>>>>>>> development
0 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2017

Yeah, it's pretty bad written.

The "change designations" most likely refers to the special sections which indicate what was added and removed (diff format) as shown in the screenshot, just above it. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events