Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot clone a Bitbucket repository from a Windows based Sourcetree installation.

nexgencodecamp April 29, 2021

Hi,

I am using Bitbucket and Sourcetree with a number of students. I found that connecting Sourcetree to Bitbucket on a Mac extremely easy and it worked 100%. Windows however was another story. 

A couple of students ended up getting this ridiculous credential 'helper' with about 12 options, none of which made any sense at all. I've attached an image of a version of this dialog.

I believe the issue is oAuth was perhaps not connected. However everything seemed to be correct: We granted access to Sourcetree, the user was logged on, the remote URL was correct. It would try to clone but just give us a progress bar animation that was clearly doing nothing. Seemingly it created the .git folder but fetched no files. 

There was no real error. It just hung there seemingly cloning OR the credential helper box kept coming up. We tried most if not all the options in the helper dialog, however none of them would have made any sense to any normal person. You might want to look at that from a UX point of view.

I did actually get it working on 2 or 3 windows machines, however the one that got stuck gave us no clue as to what was going on apart from the dialog

Many thanks

Pete..Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 8.54.43 pm.png

1 answer

1 vote
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

Hi @nexgencodecamp ,

Thank you for the explanation. I do agree Mac and SourceTree, (as I use as well mac and sourcetree). 

Regarding windows I see the next articles quite helpful for your situation

nexgencodecamp April 30, 2021

Hi Gonchik,

Thanks for your reply. I took a look at the articles. The first one might be the answer. Either way, we'll have to 'clear out' the existing setup and start again. I think the student may have clicked something inadvertently that stuffed us - neither windows nor sourcetree was good enough to redeem that 'click'

Cheers

Pete...

nexgencodecamp May 3, 2021

Hi Gonchik,

I tried this today in class with the 2 students concerned. Windows Network Credential Manager was not relevant as there were no windows credentials stored. After banging my proverbial against the wall several times we decided to download Git for Windows and use the command line. 

This worked!

I tried to setup the other student and same issue with Sourcetree: credential manager keeps coming up. The command line worked for him as well.

Others using Windows are fine - just can't fix Sourcetree on these 2 machines. Nevertheless, I found the workaround

Pete...

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events