cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to write protect a Stash git repo

Config Manager
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2014

If a Stash project grants write permission to all it's repositories, I don't believe it is possible to remove that access at the repo level, or at least not in Stash, as the hierarchical permission model only works when adding privileges, not removing them. Am I right?

If that is the case, then what is the best way of preventing write access at the git repo level - i.e. applied to the Stash-managed git repo - perhaps for a period of maintenance? I know that a pre-receive hook might prevent pushing, but is there an easier method, that might even stop pulls and clones? BTW I don't much like the Stack Control recommendation of using chmod to do this because it  might be difficult to revert to the previous settings when chmod'ing the whole repo directory.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2014

Hi John,

To prevent write access, you could create a Branch Permission that matches against * and restricts updates to just yourself or potentially an empty group. That will block any tag or branch update, effectively making it a read-only repository.

To prevent read access, you'd need to actually remove the read permission. One way to do this without messing with your project permissions is to create a "Read-only" project and physically move the repository into it, and then move it back when you're done with the maintenance.

cheers,

Tim

Config Manager
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2014

Hi Tim, Thanks for these suggestions - I had half thought of the branch idea after posting the question, but the second may be better if I wanted to prevent any pull or clone as well since existing urls would be wrong until I put it back again. This certainly would have been best for the particular circumstance I found myself in that prompted the question - I was using BFG to remove a 1.4Gb file that had been unwittingly committed and pushed - the removal was successful! Regards, John

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events