How to use subtrees in a Team

Keith Nicholas June 23, 2016

When I Add a subtree it all works great locally.  However it seems all the subree information is lost when it hits bitbucket, so a team member who clones the repository doesn't see the subtree info.  

so I have :-

image2016-6-24 14:33:2.png

Then I clone that somewhere else

image2016-6-24 14:33:45.png

nothing.

So if a team member changes something in project "LetterA" they don't have it setup so they can push their change to the lib repository.

As far as I can tell, the only reason why sourcetree knows of subtrees is because it records in "sourcetreeconfig" that there are some.    But how do you share this with a whole team ?

4 answers

0 votes
Filippo Bollini August 11, 2016

I hit the same problem with subtrees and bitbucket. Does anyone have an answer?

0 votes
QwazyWabbit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2016

When Linus talked about Git at Google in 2007, one of the features he mentioned was its capability to handle repositories of repositories.

0 votes
Keith Nicholas June 23, 2016

submodules caused all kinds of grief when branching and merging and just feel clunky

However, I've abandoned subtrees now...  and gone with subrepos

https://github.com/ingydotnet/git-subrepo

It solves the problem really nicely ( though it is all command line, but pretty straight forward )

0 votes
thinsoldier
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2016

Why did you choose subtrees over submodules?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events