Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upgrade bitbucket restore client

Gokul Deenadayalan December 28, 2021

We're getting warning message as mentioned below, while running backup using bitbucket-backup-client.

"WARN         The current version of the restore client (3.3.3) lacks the necessary features to restore backups for Bitbucket 6.10.4. Backups will be performed successfully, but you must upgrade the restore client in order to restore them. To fail in this situation, please change the backup.requirerestorable property in backup-config.properties"

So, I've downloaded the latest version of restore client .zip file from https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211500/bitbucket-server-backup-client/ (which supports our bitbucket server version). After extracting the downloaded .zip file, I've used restore-client.jar file alone. Replaced the old restore-client.jar file with this new one with required file permission and restarted bitbucket service. 

Even after the above procedure, am still getting WARN message that am still using restore client (3.3.3). (- When running the backup again)

NOTE: I've not used latest backupclient.jar since it's running without issue. I've just replaced old restore-client.jar with new one. 

1 answer

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2021

Hi @Gokul Deenadayalan,

I'll be honest I have never used the backup and restore client where I have simply replaced the restore client jar file alone.

I have always extracted the entire set.  While I don't think you need to take a new backup since you said it was working fine and the errors don't indicate it is having troubles with your backup file.  It might be worth doing a diff on the backup-config.properties file as it was called out in the error message.

I'm wondering if there is something in that file that is making it think you are still using the older version.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

Gokul Deenadayalan December 29, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon  - Thanks for your response.

We didn't explicitly mentioned anything in backup-config.prop file. It's basically commented out since the clients are present in bitbucket-backup home directory itself.

"

# E.g. java -Dbitbucket.home=/path/to/bitbucket/home -jar <path/to/bitbucket-backup-client.jar>

# E.g. java -Dbitbucket.home=/path/to/restore/bitbucket/home -jar <path/to/bitbucket-restore-client.jar>

In fact, we didn't seen this WARN message till September. It began to show up all of sudden from October saying that "you need to upgrade restore client in order to restore them"

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2021

Interesting.  Did you happen to perform an upgrade of the server in October?  I know the backup utility is independent of the server upgrade so if you did, that would have been when you would have wanted to download the newer version of the backup utility.

Looking at  the docs for the backup utility, I saw there are instructions for enabling Debug logging.  That might help you get more information about the error you are receiving.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/bitbucket-server-backup-client-776640064.html#BitbucketServerBackupClient-runrestore

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events