Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upgrade Stash from 2.10.2 to 3.4.0 and move from Windows to Linux.

Aris Green October 23, 2014

We have a Stash server commercial license on Windows 2008 R2 at version 2.10.2 and we wish to migrate to a trial version 3.4.0 on CentOS 7 that is currently running. It was installed using the compressed archive.

We will transfer the commercial license over to the CentOS 7 Stash upon success, no longer using and shutting down the Stash Windows server.

What is the best way to do this? There are instructions for upgrading on the same server and migrating between different servers at the same version of Stash. Can we just copy the STASH_HOME directory from the Windows to the Linux server and the upgrade will proceed after restarting the Linux Stash server?

Will restoring a backup from the older version to the newer version work for this?

Any help appreciated.
Thank you,
Aris Green

1 answer

0 votes
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2014

Hi Aris,

The most simple way to move your instance from one server to the other is by using our backup client and restoring the backup on the other server.

You should be able to find a link for the backup client on the document below:

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
Thiago Bomfim
Atlassian Support

Aris Green October 23, 2014

Thanks, I would imagine that I could use the "Stash Backup Client" for that. On https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Using+the+Stash+Backup+Client under "Restoring Stash to use a newly created DB" at the 4th bullet I see "Note that you should use the same version of Stash that was used to back up Stash." Are the docs misworded? This last bullet does not seem very logical and may be mis worded when read in its entirety. We'd like to just create the backup using the backup client and restore on the new server running the later version like you seem to have told use to do. If we can do that great. Thank you, Aris Green

ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2014

Hi Aris, The document is not misworded but it could definitely be improved by adding the following comment: if you use an older binary compared to your backup, Stash won't start as it means a downgrade and this is not possible. If you use the same version as to your backup, nothing changes for you. If you use a newer version than your backup, an upgrade will be performed over the restore. Does that make sense now? Thiago

Bryan Turner
Atlassian Team
October 23, 2014

Aris, The documentation is written the way it is also in part to try and control scope. Trying to move platforms _and_ servers _and_ versions all in a single go seems like asking for trouble. Another approach would be to restore your backup on the new server and then bring up Stash 2.10.2 there and verify that the platform and server change has worked. Then, once you've given the server a clean bill of health, shutdown 2.10.2 and start 3.4.0. That way you separate out the processing so that, should something go wrong, it's easier to try and track down what it was. If you try and do everything in one shot it makes it harder to diagnose any problems. I'll add that we do internally move our instances back and forth between Windows and Linux, so we have tested that angle. However, when we do that, we always move across on the same version and then upgrade later. Best regards, Bryan Turner Atlassian Stash

ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
October 23, 2014

+1 to Bryan. When I wrote that bit of the documentation, that's exactly how I thought. Please let us know how you go, Aris!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events