Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up an issue tracker where end-users must specify their email address (maybe in the GET request) to create a new issue?

Justice McCullum June 23, 2015

asked on Twitter to @Bitbucket

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
jyo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2015

Prateek,

Thanks for the question. The problem here is that we do not want to expose the e-mail address of users. We require them to either sign-up or just use an anonymous ticket (essentially, we don't want to be a messageboard)

Take for example a busy public issue tracker such as TortoiseHg: https://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/thg/issues/?kind=bug&status=open

Users can signup and create issues on the tracker and you can receive these messages via our internal mail app (or e-mail, if you're watching this issue tracker)

Thanks,

Jesse

0 votes
jyo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2015

However, if you're willing to spend a small amount each month, I'd recommend JIRA Service Desk: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk

It's a lot more robust than Bitbucket's issue tracker, and only $10 a month* for 1-3 agents and unlimited customers. Might be worth checking out!

*I think this requires a regular JIRA license as well

Cheers,

Jesse

0 votes
Prateek Sureka June 24, 2015

Hi - I am the OP.

My use case is as follows - I am the sole developer for a small web app where the code is hosted on bitbucket. As part of the UI, I have a "Report Issue" link. End-users who are facing problems can click the link and they are redirected to the bitbucket issue tracker where they post their issue.

Unfortunately, since these users do not have bitbucket accounts, the issue tracker must be kept anonymous. The side-effect of this is that there is no way for me to track who reported what issue and I cannot contact them for clarifications or once I have fixed the issue.

I need a way to track who reported each issue given that they are not bitbucket users. An easy way would be to pass some identification information in the GET request to /issues/new as a query parameter but I don't think this is allowed.

I could use the Issue API and create my own UI to submit issues and then put the user metadata into one of the allowed fields but this is:

a) Overkill for my app

b) Ugly as heck and probably not intended by Atlassian

So I don't want to do that unless I have no other choice.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events