Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to see progress of Bitbucket Server "Migrating home directory" ?

Philip Armour November 10, 2017

Hi,

I am performing test upgrade/migration work on a Bitbucket Server instance. As part of this I have changed the path of BITBUCKET-HOME.

Now after restarting Bitbucket Server (5.5.0) I see the message "Migrating home directory" on the Web UI which has now been showing for around 2 hours.

The HOME directory is rather large ~200GB. 

I would like to ask if anyone knows how long this usually takes or how I can tell the progress of it. I can't see any obvious messages in atlassian-bitbucket.log.

I have learnt my lesson to try to keep BITBUCKET-HOME the same in the future!

Any help much appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
avinash singh December 13, 2017

Hi Philip,

How much time did it actually took for you to complete the actual migration to complete. Its seems I am facing the same issue you described in this thread ?

Philip Armour December 14, 2017

Hi Avinash,

in our case although the Web UI was showing the animation, absolutely nothing was happening and the start-up was actually stuck (we checked and found no updates to either filesystem or database).

It appears that in our case the problem was related to the one described here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserverkb/bitbucket-data-center-node-hangs-on-startup-initializing-spring-context-833924674.html

... and the problem was to do with netapp filer (shared volume) settings / properties. Unfortunately I do not know any more details about the exact cause and solution. If you make any discoveries on this perhaps you can share?

When I have installed another Bitbucket Data Center recently, this problem did not happen, and the "Migrating home directory" text appears for around 20 seconds and then the start-up continues.

I am no longer convinced that changing the path of BITBUCKET-HOME is relevant to this, but personally I think it is still a good idea to avoid changing the path (when you swap out local HOME/shared with the mount of the shared volume).

Hope that is helpful,

Philip

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events