cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restrict bitbucket server to user+IP

Javier Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2016

Use case: We have developers in training at our office. They need access to source code so  we'll assign them a PC from which they can pull/push from/to bitbucket server. For security reasons this PC is the only one they can use to work with the source code

Issue: These developers can still go to a different PC and access the source code from bitbucket, since their credentials allow access, as needed per the use case

Question 1: Is there a way we can restrict bitbucket access (both push and pull) for a userid+IP combination: in this way these developers would be able to access the code because they're allowed to (user restriction) but only from the restricted PC (adding IP to authorization)

Question 2: Any other was we can solve the issue in the use case

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Adam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2016

There's nothing in Bitbucket itself to help with this out of the box, but I can think of a few options:

- download the Atlassian Supported SAML add-on, and only let them log in through SAML (don't let them know what their internal password is).

- Use a third-party add-on like Kerberos to handle it

- write a plugin that implements a <servlet-filter> to reject access to certain users from certain IPs on each request. You might have to do something special for SSH - not sure. Maybe an AuthenticationHandler would work too. E.g. an AuthenticationSuccessHandler might be able to log them out if their IP is bad? 

Best of luck!

Adam

Javier Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2016

Thanks Adam.

• About  authentication tools, we use crowd. Is Atlassian crowd able help here, do you know?
  • About AuthebticationSuccessHandler, could you provide an example of implementation?
Adam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2016

I'm not sure if there's anything in Crowd that would help, sorry. https://developer.atlassian.com/static/javadoc/bitbucket-server/4.11.0/spi/reference/com/atlassian/bitbucket/auth/SshAuthenticationSuccessHandler.html is something I think you could use. You can pull the user out of the context (https://developer.atlassian.com/static/javadoc/bitbucket-server/4.11.0/spi/reference/com/atlassian/bitbucket/auth/SshAuthenticationSuccessContext.html) and then look up the approved IPs for that user. If they don't match, you log them out. I think that might work? But actually I'm no expert on this and could be completely wrong.

Another option might be to look at com.atlassian.bitbucket.internal.ssh.server.DefaultSshAuthenticationHandler in the source code (you can download this if you've purchased a license), and preempt it with an SshAuthenticationHandler of your own that does the same thing, but also checks for IPs before succeeding (and explicitly fails/throws if the IP doesn't match so that the DefaultSshAuthenticationHandler doesn't get a chance to try).

Sorry I can't give you more detailed help - I'm not the best person to be answering this question, I just thought I'd tell you what I know.

Javier Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2016

Thanks Adam. It's not resolving my issue, but it's the best lead I have.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events